Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think something like this change can come from the individual. Its like boycotting fur-you really aren't saving any animals. Something like changing our energy dependence has to come from the top down and has to be done in a controlled way.

Have you ever thought what a disaster it would be if someone invented a small hand held unlimited battery that could power our homes or cars? It would be the great depression all over again.

Solar is probably not the best idea, NASA has been using it for decades so I would think that if there were huge gains to be made there, they would have been already. Wind energy is great-in places where there is always a breeze but that isn't the case everywhere. Nuclear and Hydro-electric would be our best bets. The Navy has been using nuclear for awhile safely so I don't see why we don't use this. Modern plants can be build to be safe. China has them (google peeblebed reactor) Hydro-electric is also a great source. The US Corps of Engineers has enough dams that if they were all converted to hydro-electric dams we could/would put all the power companies out of business.

I agree that the very people who oppose drilling also stand in the way of everything that could replace drilling...it is a sad state of affairs.

None of the listed technologies are PERFECT. BUT, if we can supplement them with what we have available and make the MOST of what we know until we can develop something better then why the hell not????? It is ONE step in the right direction....

Last wind charts I checked for my location were on the order of 10-12 mph. average year round. Last I checked I was in the SUNSHINE state. Plenty of wind and sun to supplement and offset my energy usages. Sorry I don't have $10k+ for a low end power range modern wind turbine........Apparently those company's have patents and are very proud of their units. So proud that the common folk will never be able to afford them or even justify the cost for the offset in savings over the lifespan of the unit.

I'm just sooooooo fed up with hearing why we can't and the endless excuses of what doesn't work. If we put half of that effort into finding ways that do we might have some real answers and possibilities....

Yeah, forget about all the possibilities and great ideas. Lets just keep drilling, it is so much easier to just keep doing what we know how to do...... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Between the Clinton administration and Obama's the Dem's have been in office for 9 1/2 years since 1993. Very disingenuous!

Have YOU priced a wind turbine? I have!! Have YOU priced solar? I have!! Is the government giving any company's developing economical versions of these tax breaks or incentives to make these technologies cheaper, more affordable, or building companies to help displace the millions of people out of work in this country?Yet we keep giving tax breaks to company's that send our jobs over seas and to company's that purchase Hummers as business vehicles..... Give me a f#$!%$!#%g break!

Monday quarterbacking righteous babble. Can we see a picture of your electric or hybrid cars?

Between the Clinton administration and Obama's the Dem's have been in office for 9 1/2 years since 1993. Very disingenuous!

Monday quarterbacking righteous babble. Can we see a picture of your electric or hybrid cars?

EXCUSE ME??? I think I already offered up a full length documentary on an electric car. Perhaps you should take the time to watch the DAMNED thing and quit insulting people in the internet.

Let me hear some of your great ideas and solutions MR Smart guy? What are your propositions? Oh yeah..... best you can do is call me an armchair quarterback....

You were probably that guy I saw driving that F-350 bitching about high gas prices at the pump and then doing a huge burnout out of the gas station all pissed off....belching a big black cloud of death into the air.....:rofl3:

EXCUSE ME??? I think I already offered up a full length documentary on an electric car. Perhaps you should take the time to watch the DAMNED thing and quit insulting people in the internet.

Do you own one? :idk:

Let me hear some of your great ideas and solutions MR Smart guy? What are your propositions? Oh yeah..... best you can do is call me an armchair quarterback....

Since following Europe's lead is all the rage lately, how about doubling or tripling our nuclear energy generation capacity by expanding existing locations primarily. Secondly, most all of T. Boone Picken's recommendations still look spot-on like converting all 18 wheeler's to natural gas, etc.

You were probably that guy I saw driving that F-350 bitching about high gas prices at the pump and then doing a huge burnout out of the gas station all pissed off....belching a big black cloud of death into the air.....:rofl3:

No, I am not a NASCAR guy...

Bottom line is there are many ways to solve our problems. Maybe I miss-read your post as harsh and responded in frustration. The state we live in is very disturbing to say the least.

I wish I had an electric car, or a hybrid, some solar cells on my entire roof surface, (3) 10kw wind turbines in the back yard...... Unfortunately I struggle just to stay alive most days in this insane society. I do everything I can to reduce my impact on this planet and educate myself on being a better human being, regardless of how many other people are wasting it away.... I'm not here to argue on the internet, in the end we will all be responsible for the final results and our children will bear the burden.

I HIGHLY recommend watching "Who Killed the Electric Car"

"The Death of Suburbia" is another must see....

The list goes on and on but no one can make anyone else educate themselves or care.

Bottom line is there are many ways to solve our problems. Maybe I miss-read your post as harsh and responded in frustration. The state we live in is very disturbing to say the least.

I wish I had an electric car, or a hybrid, some solar cells on my entire roof surface, (3) 10kw wind turbines in the back yard...... Unfortunately I struggle just to stay alive most days in this insane society. I do everything I can to reduce my impact on this planet and educate myself on being a better human being, regardless of how many other people are wasting it away.... I'm not here to argue on the internet, in the end we will all be responsible for the final results and our children will bear the burden.

I HIGHLY recommend watching "Who Killed the Electric Car"

"The Death of Suburbia" is another must see....

The list goes on and on but no one can make anyone else educate themselves or care.

I see you have a good size boat in your profile picture and list boating as an interest. How's that electric powered boat working out for you

I see you have a good size boat in your profile picture and list boating as an interest. How's that electric powered boat working out for you

Why when someone advocates for energy usage alternatives and changes that support green alternatives do you automatically analyze the person arguing for changes. We all live in a society where it can be impossible to find a green alternative and in some cases cost prohibitive (oh wait that is just free market pressure right? [note sarcasm]). When someone argues against you, your dont actually support your argument by automatically saying "haha, you hypocrite, you use gasoline." Same old conservative (read anti environmental, pro-oil) BS argument over and over. Just trying to make a difference may be the best some people can do. You shouldn't point fingers until you change your life around by using no oil. Then you can say drill, baby, drill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom