Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McCainiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What effects will it have over the summer if they can't stop the 200,000 plus gallons a day pouring into the gulf for 3 months? I just passed on putting a deposit on a place in Pensacola for this summer because things aren't looking good. :depressed:

I have no crystal ball, so I can't say what the effects of that much oil in the Gulf will have on the diving along the eastern rim. From what I can ascertain, the big hope is that the "domes" they are constructing onshore now to place over the leaks (and siphon off the oil before it gets away). However, I understand while that particular type of technology has been proven effective at shallower depths, it has not been deployed in deep water, so that's an unknown variable at this point. I certainly hope it does work, because it's going to be a long, long time before they are able to get the relief wells drilled, and that much oil will certainly have very significant effects upon the marine environment.

I'm certainly with you in your concerns. I'm scheduled to accompany a science excursion to the Flower Gardens in July. While the blowout is considerably east of the FG, it's not far-fetched to consider that there could be damaging effects upon that pristine environment as well.

I guess its safe to assume that the company will claim we get 30% of our oil from that rig and gas prices will soar AND they have no insurance so we the tax payers will pay for the clean up AND since they are losing so much money the goverment will have to bail them

If the thing is not stopped it could kill the Gulf and the Keys.

N

I would think if it is not stopped it would eventually kill more than the gulf, but I'll assume there are some well paid engineers losing sleep over this.

another issue will be all the salt water pouring down into the oil reserves. Might make oil production in the area a little off forever. I have no idea, or information just thinking out loud.

Probably canceling Oriskany dive scheduled for next weekend due to potential path of the oil plume. Terrible, terrible accident. Having grown up in Louisiana, very sand to see the effects on the wildlife. Hopefully this can be brought under control as soon as possible.

We're off to South Padre in 2 weeks. Selfishly saying it doesn't appear headed West yet...

I would think if it is not stopped it would eventually kill more than the gulf, but I'll assume there are some well paid engineers losing sleep over this.

another issue will be all the salt water pouring down into the oil reserves. Might make oil production in the area a little off forever. I have no idea, or information just thinking out loud.

Uh, no, you needn't worry about the saltwater affecting the oil reserves.

I have a MS plus 30 in geology so I know what I am talking about.

As to well paid engineers, I don't know, I think some ordinance to crush the casing might work. But I am a geologist and as such never thought much of the engineers.

N

To all the missing rig workers... RIP!!! Some good men lost their lives due to this tragic event.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom