Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would absolutely sue BP... FO SHO

At this point it is a common sense business response to the situation. We don't know what the future will bring, but it is always prudent to capture data as it happens, rather than try to re-capture it after the fact. Nothing more.

Capt. Jim

As a petroleum engineer, several coworkers and I were discussing this exact scenario the moment the rig sunk. If they cannot get the BOP to function (which it appears they can't) the only option is containment until the relief well is drilled (which will be months). They will drill into the existing wellbore and pump very dense heavy mud into the wellbore to "kill" the well. Then the can begin the repair process.

What a horrible tragedy.

Exactly, well stated, this thing has the potential to be a killer event of a magnitude not seen before. This is exactly why environmentalist, like me, are highly skeptical of the oil industry and since I actually worked in it and sat offshore wells I know a little about it.

I am afraid, unless we try something new, that an offset well, directionally drilled to relieve the current well is the only answer and that could take months to complete. At this rate of flow, and they seem to daily increase the amount, this is a Gulf killer, it could kill the Keys and contaminate shore lines and water even up the Eastern Seaboard. Decades will be required to restore fisheries and wildlife which were already under severe stress.

At this point we need to pray and complain loudly that this even not be as bad as some of us think it is.

Drill baby drill, excuse me Mrs Moose Woman. :shakehead:

N

Kinda makes ya wonder how many other potential disasters are sitting out there waiting to happen ... why it happened ... why that BOP ain't working like it was supposed to.

Betchya somebody took some shortcuts, pocketed some profits, and walked away leaving the public to pay for the consequences. But I suspect, when it's all said and done, that we'll never really find out.

About all we can count on is that no matter what happens, it'll get used as an excuse to raise gas prices ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wish the engineers would think of this stuff BEFORE they build it. Just take 5 minutes and think, "what happens if this super deep oil well breaks open, then what do we do?"

sigh, this is all so upsetting

The preplanning and engineering involved in a project of this sort is HUGE. The regulations, laws, permitting are very strictly enforced. Redundant systems for well control and massive amounts of safety procedures are required by numerous state and federal agencies. For this to have happened it would have to be a catastrophic failure of components. A lack of engineering or a "what happens if", in my opinion, is extremely unlikely. I agree it is very upsetting situation.

My prayers go the families of the 11 that died and a speedy solution to this extremely desperate situation.

Ding dang momma git yer fiddle my words done come bit me on the beehind.

Jimmy Cliff: I Can See Clearly Now. Modified lyrics.

I can't see clearly now the oil has come
I just push all those gallons out of my way
Here are the dark clouds that had me down

It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright sun shiny day

Oh yeah can make it now the pain has come
All of the bad feelings have reappeared
Here is the rainbow I been dreadin y'all

Look all around theres nothin but dark skies
Look straight ahead theres nothin but dark seas

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
Lets keep a drillin no wisdom it's in my way
Where is the rainbow I've been praying for

Bri-ri-ri-ri-right
Bright bright bright bright sun shiny day
Oh yeah

Addresses discussion post Florida offshore oil rigs 17/06/2009
Sympathies to us all.

At some point there were some highly paid engineers that, tasked with preventing the potential of a catastrophic public relations/safety/environmental nightmare, decided that they had the answers in case of an oil well blow-out like we're seeing in the Gulf.

If such-and-such happens we do this, if that doesn't work we do this and if, by some chance that doesn't work what do we do then? And at some point down that line of creative pre-planning solutions for possible catastrophic scenarios somebody must have answered, "What? No, the odds are a million to one that ALL those things could happen!"

Well, guess what?

Betchya somebody took some shortcuts, pocketed some profits, and walked away leaving the public to pay for the consequences.
Dang Bob,

Not everyone is larcenous. Bad things happen to good, honest people who have tried to do the right thing. Murphy's law is alive and kicking... but you should know it was "Murray's Law" before that typo at the printers! :D

Condolences to the friends and families.

Encouragement to the team trying to resolve this.

And hope that Mother Nature can withstand our hubris.

With the shear amount of money at stake in one of these wells, I doubt they cut many corners.

My guess would be just a series of errors or malfunctions due to men working long hours in harsh conditions and perhaps mechanical failure due to the corrosive effect of saltwater.

I From what I can ascertain, the big hope is that the "domes" they are constructing onshore now to place over the leaks (and siphon off the oil before it gets away). However, I understand while that particular type of technology has been proven effective at shallower depths, it has not been deployed in deep water, so that's an unknown variable at this point. I certainly hope it does work, because it's going to be a long, long time before they are able to get the relief wells drilled, and that much oil will certainly have very significant effects upon the marine environment.

ARCO used this type of structure to capture oil and gas from offshore natural seeps near the UC Santa Barbara campus for a number of years. It cut the air pollution substantially and turned out to be a nice little "unconventional" producer for the state. CF Earney describes the effort in his book Marine Minerals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom