Gulf fatality - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Deputies, FBI investigating death of diver in Gulf
PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office Maritime Operations Detachment is helping the FBI investigate the death of a diver in Gulf waters Saturday afternoon.

According to the Coast Guard, they received a call around 12:30 p.m. that a diver was found by a friend unconscious and was performing CPR.

The diver, aged 23, was picked up and airlifted to Tampa General Hospital.

The Pasco County Marine crew say after preliminary information, a group of divers were out fishing about 30 miles offshore when the diver became unconscious for unknown reasons.

Because the incident happened in international waters, the FBI will be the main investigating agency.

No other information has been released at this time. Please check back for the latest updates.

Unusual, probably a cop blowing off the media telling them to "go talk to the FBI." It's my understanding it happened on the RJ Thompson. A still fairly well intact wreck sitting in about 65 fsw. Not sure if they were on scuba or not.

Our local dive team had to have the FBI dive team do forensics on remains found in a lake because they couldn't. The problem was that it was 70', or so, and the locals couldn't do the bottom time necessary, FBI uses rebreathers. And of course the FBI does it for a living, so a better job as well, although it took four months or so before they came.

FBI Dive Teams - Underwater Evidence Collection

Bob

"Because the incident happened in international waters, the FBI will be the main investigating agency."

"Because the incident happened in international waters, the FBI will be the main investigating agency."

I read that part but haven't any other dive accidents ever happened in international waters?

Which is nonsense and another example of poor reporting. It's not international waters, it's Federal waters. 3 miles off the east coast and 9 miles off the west coast of Florida is the point where it becomes Federal waters. So I could see why they would say the FBI has jurisdiction. However, it's still the first I've heard of the FBI investigating a spearfishing/diving fatality... Unless of course there's more to the story or the local cop just blew off the reporter.

I read that part but haven't any other dive accidents ever happened in international waters?

I'm sure it happened before but the FBI is an American agency so i wouldn't expect them to start searching for foreigners missing in international waters.

I'm sure it happened before but the FBI is an American agency so i wouldn't expect them to start searching for foreigners missing in international waters.

That too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom