gulf of mexico bottom temps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pluto

Registered
Reaction score
what would you say the difference between surface and bottom temp. is in the winter? I havent dove in winter yet but i do surf so i am familiar with surface temps. it cant be much colder than that (58*-65*) can it? thanks

Near shore in the Gulf the surface water is often a layer of slighly less saline stuff coming out of the bays. In the winter this can be significantly COLDER than the water 10 feet down as the bays will chill first. After a rainy cold front surface temp can easily be in the low 50s, with bottom temp near 60 before the spring warm up starts in late march. BTW The cool down won't really start until late October. It'll be late December before the water cools enough to need 5 mil suits, and I probably won't pull out the dry suit 'til sometime in January.

FT

a 5 mil suit for in the winter, but a dry suit....hmmm i don't know. Where would you go to where that?? I'm just curious ..:martian:

hitomi316 once bubbled...
a 5 mil suit for in the winter, but a dry suit....hmmm i don't know. Where would you go to where that?? I'm just curious ..:martian:

They're talking about the Gulf of Mexico whereas, as I recall, you are in South East Florida. There's a significant difference in water temp between the Gulf, particularly northern portions, and the Atlantic off Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Wearing a drysuit in the northern Gulf, or even in the Atlantic north of Cape Canaveral, during the winter months is certainly not overkill. We've got it good here in SE Florida :)

Tom

I live in Kentucy but we frequent the Panama City Beach Area year round for over a decade now. Last year was one of the wamest water temps. on record for the winter. I don't think it ever dropped below 60. However, this is unusual and the water temp is generally in the upper-50's by Christmas at Panama City Beach. It is nice though when the bottom is warmer than the surface. Makes for a strange dive. Drysuits are NOT overkill at all for northern gulf diving in the winter.

Dry Suit is not overkill in SE Florida either. If your typical dives last between 60 and 70 minutes with short surface intervals, you appreciate a dry suit when the water is mid 70's and below.

Check dive boats that cater only to year round locals and you'll find plenty of dry suits. Boynton has a couple, Ft. Lauderdale tends to have many snow birds wearing speedos while the locals freeze.

As far as Panama City Beach, I don't know what to say, been here a full year already and this place is just plain cold (underwater and topside)... shouldn't qualify as part of Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom