Gulf Shores dive attempt and lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasoncolorado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok....today, my boys and I decided to dive the Whiskey wreck. The seas were calm, weather was good, and I had already snorkeled out the day before to check the distance and how far down the wreck was. This would be one of our first dives without a DM, but I felt it would be a simple dive and good dive for us. Wow...I was wrong. My boys are 13 and 14, and I realized that I or a DM have done most of the work for them in previous dives. We decided to suit up at the parking lot and walk about 80 yards to the beach. By the time we got there, I had done all the work and was dead tired. My youngest son's tank had come out of the bc strap, my other son lost a fin b/c he didnt tighten it, everyone was upset, so I called off the dive. There was no way we were getting in the water. I realized, certification doesnt mean much. We went back to the condo and had a little dive family meeting. I informed my boys, from now on, they pack their equipment, help each other and me get everything together. I also made sure they knew had to loosen and tighten their fins and mask. Its amazing as you are going through training all the little things that are taken for granted. It was an incredible lesson to learn. Later that afternoon, my youngest son and I decided we would go down to a local bridge and try a 16 foot dive to see if we learned anything from the morning fiasco. The dive was successful, no mishaps, much better organized and mentally prepared.

As mentioned above, the second dive went well. However, I also found that towing a flag/buoy was a PITA. It seemed to get caught in my snorkle more than once. I have seen other divers anchor their reel and make sure they stay in the vicinty. I am not sure what they were using for an anchor as most of the area we were in was sand. Any help here is appreciated.

Last edited:
I have no advice but will offer a pat on the back for being determined, 7 of my first 8 boat dives had someone or two (not me) puking due to strongish surge and 3-5 ft seas and 2 Bataan death swims so I feel your pain.

I was wondering if I was going to "enjoy" doing this stuff, a month later I can't quit thinking about when i can get back down there to go some more!!!!

Mike

This is a great story and very thought-provoking for me as a DM. One of the things I have felt was my job as a DM was to try to ease the stress of handling the equipment, so I try to do a lot of hauling for the students. Maybe I am not doing them any favors -- it sounds as though the surprise of the amount of WORK involved in shore diving was a rude one for your sons.

Kudos to you for sticking with it, and for going back out. Your sons, I think, will be both better kids and better divers for having to step up to dealing with their gear. Fun has a price tag, and they're learning that pretty painlessly, I think.

This is a great story and very thought-provoking for me as a DM. One of the things I have felt was my job as a DM was to try to ease the stress of handling the equipment, so I try to do a lot of hauling for the students. Maybe I am not doing them any favors -- it sounds as though the surprise of the amount of WORK involved in shore diving was a rude one for your sons.

Kudos to you for sticking with it, and for going back out. Your sons, I think, will be both better kids and better divers for having to step up to dealing with their gear. Fun has a price tag, and they're learning that pretty painlessly, I think.

TSandM,

Yes, it is a great story and one that I can relate to.

Very early in our diving history when my wife was still trying to decide if diving locally was for her, we (or more correctly, I) had those same issues. By the time I got into the water I was exhausted. Between helping my son and helping my wife, I'd be tired and ticked-off once I finally got in. Then I realized I was doing nobody any favours and left them to their own devices. After that, I was nice and relaxed waiting in the shallows for them to get in and do buddy checks.

As a DM, I learned quickly not to help the students unless they were having issues. Even with kids, they have to figure out how to deal with humping their own gear - that could however be as simple as them "asking" for help.

Bill

Good experience. Have you tried posting for dive buddies in the Deep Dixie Diver section. There are a lot of locals who would be willing to go diving with you guys if you wanted the company. (We probably want haul your tanks for you like a good DM but we will show you some nice places to eat after)

:)

I am a pretty "hands-off" DM as well. I obviously will be sure not to let anything go that has a safety issue, but try to let students figure things out for themselves.

I recently had a student put their reg on backwards (lp inflator on right, regs on left). So, I waited for them to figure it out, but when they started to route the hoses, without fixing the first stage orientation, I had to step in. However, I didn't correct it for them, but rather said "something isn't right, maybe you should compare it to your buddy's set up". Then, they were able to correct it on their own. Unfortunately, doing things this way, can often make a class run a little long, but I think it is worth it.

I think people learn from mistakes much better than they learn from demonstrations, the trick is to have the mistakes occur in a safe, controlled environment.

Good call on cancelling the first dive, some valuable lessons were learned and you and your kids gained some valuable experience!

and if everyone has issues underwater? (ie: very difficult for you to help them)

fortunately in this case a soft lesson learned for handling oneself and gear on their own and to then carry that same mental attitude into the water.

since it wasn't necessary, good on you for not pushing the situation :D

the ocean doesn't take age or experience into consideration ........... ok, a little tough perhaps; I was watching Surviving the Cut episodes last night on Netflix lol

Thanks for the feedback. I am so glad to hear this is just not my inadequecies as a diver or for that matter...a parent, but a process that many divers and parents have gone through. I feel this will be a great family sport for many years to come. As with most things in life, nothing comes easy. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Thanks for the feedback. I am so glad to hear this is just not my inadequecies as a diver or for that matter...a parent, but a process that many divers and parents have gone through. I feel this will be a great family sport for many years to come. As with most things in life, nothing comes easy. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

on the contrary, I think your judgement in this situation demonstrates excellent qualities of both a diver and as a parent, rather than inadequacies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom