H2Odyssey Redunant Air System (RAS) - anyone using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone here used or familiar with the H2Odyssey redundant air system (not to be confused with the 6 cf EAS). The RAS comes with an LP hose for the reg and either 13 or 19 cf bottle. If so, what do you think of it regarding use and quality? Can't seem to find any reviews. Thanks.

I would recommend a reg and pony bottle that way you can upgrade / evolve as you need to not much more at all.

From what I have seen of thit system is it is a regulator/valve combined and in my mind I would go with standard off the shelf components for easier servicing and use. BTW even if you are filling off of your main tanks I have run into operators who would still insist on a current VIS and hydro on the RAS.

I've been using a H2Odyssey EAS2 (valve and 1st stage combo) for years now. I don't think it can be beat.

https://www.amazon.com/H2ODYSSEY-H2...F8&qid=1486225875&sr=8-155&keywords=h2odyssey

I've used it on a 27cf, 13cf and now a 6cf. It works flawlesly and is easy to service. It's an unbalanced piston which is (arguably) the ruggedest, most bulitproof design going. All you need to do is add a tank of the size you want (about $100), either a yoke or station fill adapter, an octo (from your main tank reg) and a button SPG. Make your own sling for almost nothing and you are set.

The price on Amazon has recently jumped (though still inexpensive). They used to go for about $87. Use an Amazon price watch site and wait till the price drops.

I know a few people using them on rebreather applications and they're fine. Personally I would have no issue using them for a pony type system, just make sure you buy the right fill adapters when you purchase. You'll likely find them cheaper from Piranha and there are a few different regs in there as ewll

Drysuit Inflation & Pony Bottle Systems

I would recommend a reg and pony bottle that way you can upgrade / evolve as you need to not much more at all.

That is the way I would go, however I have valves and reg sets laying around looking for something to do. As the OP, I would consider this solution as a cost effective measure. The good review from tbone and Kharon would make it worth a try.

Bob

I am one of those that use them on my bailout rebreather. They are simple, robust, and easy to rebuild if needed. I have had them below 300' numerous times and they work flawlessly every time. I was nervous about using them at first due to how inexpensive they are compared to other options, but was forced into it for mere space and weight restrictions. I now trust my life to them every time I am doing a big dive and have never been nervous about them failing.

That is the way I would go, however I have valves and reg sets laying around looking for something to do. As the OP, I would consider this solution as a cost effective measure. The good review from tbone and Kharon would make it worth a try.

Bob

These are all made by WMD, same company that OEM's regulators for several manufacturers, including Dive Rite. They're a simple fairly low performance piston regulator, somewhat similar in design to a Scubapro MK2. Not going to be a super high performance first stage, but for something like a pony bottle where you will only have one diver breathing on it at a time

I decided to go with a standard reg set, mostly because my main reg set is Atomic, and I want to be able to easily rinse it under pressure. Also I ended up with a pretty inexpensive set up: Cressi XS2/AC2, Luxfer bottle, small pressure gauge, Piranha tec stage strap, epdm tank band, and covered clamp for $325 shipped vs over $400 for a RAS 1 kit. Now hope I never need to use it.

while you hope to never need to use it, make sure you do. When on a safety stop, practice deploying it. Not only is it critical for you to have the muscle memory, but it's also good for the regulators to get a bit of use to keep everything moved around

One other consideration is it also can be your spare reg set as long as the IP is close on both first stages and something fails on your primary regs you can swap hoses around to get your main reg back to diving shape. Of course then you won't have your pony and need to have other alternate air but buddies aren't that bad.

Back
Top Bottom