HACK: Adjustable bungee mount using a cord lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkCoffee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Those DSS bungee mounts for the various computers looked perfect for me. Picked one up for my Atmos Elite, set it up for my drysuit and off I went. Great! That is until we hit Coz and I realized that there was way too much slack in the cord now that I was wearing a 3mm suit rather than my cold water drysuit.

In my Save-A-Dive kit I have a couple of these Ellipse Cord Locks and I added one to the bungee to take up the slack. Turns out they *really* bite into the bungee when closed so there is no chance of it slipping. Tucked the extra under the DC and I was good to go.

So this summer I left it on the DC while using my drysuit. Turned out it came in handy again when I had to switch to my 14mm wetsuit (due to a leak in the drysuit).

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 209
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 199
An easy way to do this without requiring any extra parts is to thread the bungee continuously, so you can can wrap one loop around the mount. Perfect for both thick drysuits in cold water and tropical thin wetsuits.

259wtbo.jpg

28h3p4z.jpg

You know I tried that (I'd seen it mentioned here before) but the single loop around left too much slack and a double was right out of the question as it was way too tight.

It could be due to the thickness of the bungee I'm using or the way I threaded it. (now that I'm thinking about it again I should try your option using thinner bungee).

I guess I could also have pushed it up my arm further to take up the slack after the single wrap but I'm getting to that age where the ability to focus at close up items is hampered by, ah, experience.. (yeah.. that's what I'll call it) so keeping it on the wrist gives me some additional 'focus' leeway:D

You could use some sort of cord locking device... I thought initially of using these simple ones that we find in many clothings for outdoor (like these)
But I guess they would not be tight enough, and resistance in salt water could be tough too. If anyone has an idea, it will be welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom