Hacking cheap LED dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imbodie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok..
I have an Intova that has died... pretty sure the LED is fine, just the electronics driving it... (also have a UK pistol LED same issue) anyone have any luck hacking the electronics... I don't care about flashing I just want an on/off switch and light...... on smaller LED's (electronics kits and such) all you need is the LED and a resistor to light the LED.... shouldn't it be the same for underwater lights?

Ideas??

Tim

you are most likely toast. hi power led lights have a bunch of high current driver circuitry associated with them. either the circuitry or the led may have failed.

if you google there is a "flashlight" message board somewhere out there that has lots of information about high power led lights.

I know this particular intova light had a lot of issues with the magnetic switch.... which totally has me baffled... unless there is a sensing component on the board which is close to the button end of the light...but I can't get the magnet part open... the control board was easy enough.... but all it should do is control the blink and power levels (maybe just the blink).

Tim

The magnets in my Chinese lights are not protected from corrosion. Even with good after dive rinsing, they are liable to corrode and become ineffective. I am not familiar with the Intova light, but you might try using a strong magnet to see if the internal switch and light might still be working.

In theory yes it would work you need to provide about 300-400 mA, but in practice the brightness will drop off very quickly as the battery voltage drops. What you need to use is a constant current driver matched to the led rating. The problem then becomes trying to fit it all back into the original housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awap,
how do the magnetic switches work? is there a sensor on the board? There is no physical contact between the switch and the electronics which sit in the end cap of the Intova...

Tim

Awap,
how do the magnetic switches work? is there a sensor on the board? There is no physical contact between the switch and the electronics which sit in the end cap of the Intova...

Tim

There must be a sensor inside. There is a magnet in the external switch that looks something like one of these: 50pcs Neodymium Disc Mini 5 x 2mm RARE Earth N35 Strong Magnets Craft Models | eBay

When mine initially failed, I found I could operate the light with a strong refrigerator magnet and then went shopping on ebay for a neodymium magnet of about the right size.

Check out candlepowerforums.com they have a diving light sub-forum. I like awap's magnet idea. Once you start diddling with the innards of lights it is hard to stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom