Haigh/Pearl choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Chicago, but dive in FL. Not true anymore, as I di
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering doing a fresh water dive this year, my first since my check-out dives in 1970. Given the choice between Haigh Quarry and Pearl Lake, which is better?

This is not my first dive since 1970, merely my first dive not in the Atlantic Ocean.

Suggestions, please. :06:

garyfotodiver:
I am considering doing a fresh water dive this year, my first since my check-out dives in 1970. Given the choice between Haigh Quarry and Pearl Lake, which is better?

Suggestions, please. :06:

But I think I would take a refresher course at your local dive shop before just diving in excuse the pun. but alot has changed and a lot has been forgotten since your open water check outs in 1970

I haven't been to Pearl Lake, but Haigh is nice. There is a lot to see in the shallow end.

Ditto on the refresher course. Although some people are diving wet now, u might also want to wait until the water warms up a little more.

but it depends when you are planning to go. By late in the season the algae at Haigh can get nasty and Pearl can be a better choice. I remember last Sept, going to the deep hole at Haigh, it was PITCH BLACK at about 40 feet. Also the water smelled bad.

It seems Haigh vis is best early in the season and Pearl is better later in the season.

Haigh is great right now and the surface temp is even up to 50 degrees.

Juls

Juls pretty well nailed it, from a strictly dive perspective. Let me add a few irrelevancies:

The family atmosphere at Haigh is a delight, from Tina's sweet presence to the friendliest and dumbest dogs occasionally roaming free throughout the nice grassy areas. The place is more collegiate with folks wandering around saying Hi to old friends and making new ones. Even the competing shops get along with each other. The floating docks are terrific for entry/exits in the deeper water and the shore entries are a well manicured and gentle packed gravel slope. The pit itself is a nice view. The place banks nitrox and fills are easy and quick.

Pearl is a hilly sandpit and you'll end up with grit in everything for months. Last year some areas of the pit were effectively useless due to the low water levels. The management isn't as nice as Haigh but they have organized an all-day thong parade every sunny weekend off the deck in the beach area. The concession stand is a real live saloon with real food and cold beer. Fills are air only, hotter than hell and often slow.

Reef did a nice synopsis of both. Since they are both about the same distance for me I prefer Haigh, but if the vis goes to pot, I'll try Pearl.

Juls64:
but it depends when you are planning to go. By late in the season the algae at Haigh can get nasty and Pearl can be a better choice. I remember last Sept, going to the deep hole at Haigh, it was PITCH BLACK at about 40 feet. Also the water smelled bad.

Juls

It's sulfer that's why it smells bad. It shows up sometimes in the fall. Some years worse than others but like you said sometimes it comes up to 50 ft or so. It isn't a factor in the shallow areas.

I only dived Pearl once and it was in Jun (I think) but I wasn't impressed.

I've only been to Pearl. It's ok, nothing to get excited about. I'd like to camp next time we go up there.
It's better than no diving.

I like Haigh better, the facilities are much nicer, Pearl is very silty and gets kicked up very rapidly. If you like camping though, Pearl is the place to go, but don't camp at Pearl Lake, camp at Rock Cut State Park, its a beautiful State Park with great campsites(especially the group sites if you're going with a youth group) and Rock Cut is about a 20 minute drive to Pearl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom