Hair extensions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lolodiver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Does anyone have experience diving with hair extensions? Mine will be mainly on the top of my head for fullness rather than length. My stylist says nothing to worry about, the salt water won't damage them, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this?

Thanks!
Lolodiver

Believe it or not, I do have some knowledge about hair extensions. I have a student who has them and she was constantly having problems with tangles and things like that.

I did some research on the issue and I came up with some solutions.

Thoroughly wet your hair/extensions with fresh water before diving. If the hair is saturated, the salt water won't be able to get in and you will have fewer problems after the dive.

An even better approach is to mix up a spray bottle with water and conditioner (try to find an organic conditioner to minimize ecological impact) and again, thoroughly spray down your hair/extensions. That should prevent tangles.

Now if I could just find a solution for the apres dive runny nose issue.

Jeff

Best solution ever: hair gloves. I bought Sue some at the LDS. They're essentially a conventional elastic hair tie with a long (8"?) sleeve atached. Her hair (including extensions) hangs down below her shoulder blades, but there's no tangle problem with the hair wrap in place. Works better than braiding or conditioner sprays.
And they come in different colors and patterns, so she got them to match whatever bikini she's wearing that day...

Thanks to both of you!! My other concern is whether the salt water destroys the glue and the bond to the natural hair. Is this a problem anyone's had?

Thanks!!

my female dive buddy doesn't have any problem with the glue, but the issue is the length getting caught up in 1st stage. So she puts conditioner on beforehand as described above, and then wears a 3mm hood, tucking her hair up inside.

Hi,

Does anyone have experience diving with hair extensions? Mine will be mainly on the top of my head for fullness rather than length. My stylist says nothing to worry about, the salt water won't damage them, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this?

Thanks!
Lolodiver

Hi there Lolodiver,

I saw your husbands thread and posted http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5206972-post10.html

However, after having read your post and those thereafter, I can't say my contribution would help much.

Good luck :)

Hi,

Thanks!
Lolodiver

Hi,
I'm new to this but I was looking for help on diving with hair extensions. I have had a LOT of bad luck where my hair ended up in a big knotted ball. Very bad and had to be cut out twice. I did try the braid it and drown it in conditioner approach, and that did not work either. I am a diehard, so thought maybe diving with a swim cap on that keeps your hair from getting saturated? Has anyone tried this?

Hi,
I'm new to this but I was looking for help on diving with hair extensions. I have had a LOT of bad luck where my hair ended up in a big knotted ball. Very bad and had to be cut out twice. I did try the braid it and drown it in conditioner approach, and that did not work either. I am a diehard, so thought maybe diving with a swim cap on that keeps your hair from getting saturated? Has anyone tried this?
Your hair will get saturated, no matter what you do. Perhaps there is no silver bullet for you. This means try it all, in a sort of layered defense. Conditioner, braid, hair cover, whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom