Hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I doubt that this is much of a solution for you ladies, but after my pool sessions, with the hair getting in the mask skirt, and tangled, and whatnot, I came back the next weekend with very little hair. It sure was easier to manage, but longer hair would probably not have been a problem then, for I had a hood on...Hey that gives me an idea... what about wearing a hood. Would that solve the problem. You could tuck the hair in your hood, slap your mask on, and probably not have a problem. Hope that I could help...

Kane(adian)

The idea of being a skinhead...however much it might appeal to me for diving....i doubt the opposite sex would be too impressed!!!

About the hood, that is partly what we have been discussing however, I hate hoods...and so do the majority of people i speak to! We have been discussing alternatives....plus I find my mask scrap seems to slip off neo. hoods!

The joys of having long hair !?

Not necessarily a skin head, just short hair.

From your post I can't tell whether the hair is in your vision, or in your eyes inside your mask, but have you tried little hair clips? I have no idea whether they would work, but I am not experienced with this thing, so please excuse me. If you are having trouble with hair in the mask, I was too, before the cut. I just started by putting my head in the water, and pulling as much hair out of the way as possible, holding it back on my head, and putting the mask on. Wish I could be more help, but before I get a reputation, I should leave the women's board...bye.

Instead of a hood, which I hate too, what about a Dee-Rag?

http://www.geocities.com/beastsbuddy/DeeRags.html

I've got quite a few women dive buddies who like them for keeping their hair out of the way. My husband has been diving in them for years.

Dee

They look good. Am I guessing this is a bit of advertising for something you do or is the name just a fluke????

Its basically just a bandana kinda idea really isnt it??

...I've been making them for my husband for over 20 years and he's been diving in them ever since he got certified.

They are a bit different than bandanas. The tails let you tie them so they fit your head, with or without hair.

I notice that the dee-rags are made out of cotton. Wonder how cotton does under water. How abt making neoprene or lycra dee-rags?!

I've also got long hair which is really annoying when diving. What I tend to do is to put it back in a long plait at the back and tuck it into my suit, then put a couple of hair clips in the side.

This way it doesn't take me over an hour to brush it through afterwards!

For long layered hair that doesn't want to stay in one braid down the back, how about two braids on either side? That catches all the shorter pieces close to your face that won't stay in the back braid. I've done that a few times..and even though I look like Pippi Longstocking, or Laura Ingles, it works pretty well. Now...all I need is that gingam wetsuit!

Ladies let me tell you from my experience with all the above
that have been talked about. Tried the neoprene caps- won't stay in place. Tried bicycle hats- come off when you adjust your mask. Finally started using the cotton doo-rags that bikers use. I found that I can get them tight enough the mask doesn't pull them off and you can use the ties in back like a ponytail holder. Works great for long or mid length hair. The big plus is that you won't spend longer combing your hair out than you spent diving. You can find them in motorcycle shops or flea markets. Dee this sounds like what your using.

Shawnna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom