Halcyon Cinch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.W.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My last thread kind of got off target with the conversation about the cinch system. There are arguments for and against it, and it seems like you either really like it or really don't like it. I personally have never dove without it, but after hearing strong opinions against it I may take it off for my next dive and try it out. I have never dove a twinset so the problems with that have never been an issue.

There is no reason to take it off. Once you have your rig sized the way you like it, you do not have to use the cinch adjustment features if you don't want. It is tough (on purpose) to pull the straps through and they will stay put if you want to keep a particular sizing. If you don't dive doubles, leaving it on adds no burden, complexity or other issues that would be solved by removing it, and you then lose the benefits.

The cinch is for a particular use. For people (like me) who have several different thicknesses of exposure protection, it is very quick and easy to optimize fit compared with adjusting tri-glides etc. For people (like me) who doff their gear in the water before getting on a boat or exiting a shore dive, it is REALLY nice and makes getting out of your gear much easier. Finally, I, in particular, like to pull my rig snug to me (tight, no "three fingers" of slack) as it really stabilizes and keeps the rig from shifting on my body, which is important to me because I dive big steel single tanks, and I often twist from side to side when doing videos and photos underwater. People who stay in the normal "horizontal trim" position might not care so much about this.

I never saw the need to use tri-glides along with the cinch to act as stops. The cinch has enough friction to stay put once you have it set. I usually only pull one strap, so when re-tightening it is easy enough to see and feel when the lengths are the same. Once you lock your waist buckle there is no possible movement of the straps.

By the way, don't also be swayed too much by the "pure" philosophy that anything other than a straight unadorned harness is the "best" way to dive. Both Halcyon and Deep Sea Supply, two of the "purest" DIR companies out there, offer a harness adjustability feature on their hogarthian harnesses, because many of their divers requested it.

So, don't remove it just because some people say they don't like it. Consider your own diving needs, play around with the cinch to see how it works for you, and then make the decision based on your own situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom