Halcyon Eclipse question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That wing was made on Monday after a long weekend of drinking. Send them a email with the photo. I'm sure they will make it right. :rofl3:

Are the H's at least in the right place? :wink:

They are upside down! :D

I just got a Halcyon Eclipse wing. I was assembling everything tonight and found that the grommets in the wing are 11 1/2" on center, not 11" like my BP and the STA. That does not seem right to me. Has anyone else experienced this? I think the wing should align with the STA (also Halcyon) without difficulty.

It sounds like your wing is fine.

Fabrics and webbing can shrink over time. If your grommets were installed exactly at 11" you **might** find that eventually they would be too close together.

Then you have a real problem. There have been reports of wings with exactly that problem.

OTOH if your grommet are a little over 11" apart all you have to do is "scrunch" your wing a tad to get everything lined up.

Much easier to scrunch your wing than to stretch it out.

Tobin

Last edited:
I have an eclipse 30 with a STA and they line up perfectly. I would call Halcyon or email them with that picture.... that difference is pretty excessive.

It sounds like you wing is fine.

SNIP!

Tobin

How cool is that - a competitor checks out this stuff and tells him it's all good.

No "you bought a crappy piece of junk so sell it and buy mine." :D

Amazing.

Tobin,

I plan on switching and I'm planning on talking to you about what I need - then getting a DSS setup.

Everyone had great stuff to say about you and now I know why.

I live near SoPas so I'm planning on calling you and talking you into letting me buy you a NICE lunch. No El Chollo for you - that place is way down on my list... :popcorn:

mike

Tobin++.

A half inch too long is no problem. I've found the very thing Tobin described happened to one of my wings - it fit perfectly when new, and due to the fabric shrinking, it's now a tad shorter than 11" (apologies for the picture of a doubles wing with an STA). It's not a problem because 1) you can just stretch the wing over the bolts, and 2) the fabric naturally stretches/expands a bit when it's wet, so even if it shrinks too much you can still stretch it over the bolts by getting the wing wet first. And that problem is worse than having slightly greater spacing that may end up just perfect after a few dives :)

3128bbd.jpg

Tobin++.

A half inch too long is no problem. I've found the very thing Tobin described happened to one of my wings - it fit perfectly when new, and due to the fabric shrinking, it's now a tad shorter than 11" (apologies for the picture of a doubles wing with an STA). It's not a problem because 1) you can just stretch the wing over the bolts, and 2) the fabric naturally stretches/expands a bit when it's wet, so even if it shrinks too much you can still stretch it over the bolts by getting the wing wet first. And that problem is worse than having slightly greater spacing that may end up just perfect after a few dives :)

3128bbd.jpg

You have it right. Both my Eclipse and Explorer Wing have to be stretched slightly in order to fit over the carriage bolts. It's not an issue and should fit just fine. :wink: :palmtree: Bob

Back
Top Bottom