Halcyon Fin Spring Heels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coconutvee

Reaction score
I just got a new pair of SP Jetfins for my class. I do not like the ajustable straps and want to replace them with a set of spring straps. I've been doing some searches and noticed that there are a couple different styles. What is the best and most common setup and what should I expect to spend. I was on a couple of the Halcyon dealer web sites and they have them listed for $76.00, but when I go over to Leisure Pro they list the
Manta Spring Fin Strap pin style $39.95. Both of these straps seem like they are the same to me. Whats the difference? Thanks for any input and help.:confused:

Dont quote me, but I think one of the primary differences is that the Halcyon straps have a piece of cave line inside the springs so that in the case of overextension of the springs, there is still something there (the cave line) acting as resistance...make sense?

That said, I have the Mantas on my Turtles and am perfectly happy. I find it *VERY* difficult to see how these springs could be overextended.

I don't think you can make a bad choice between these two...

hth,
kkm

The Halcyon straps have cave line to prevent them from overstretching. Also, the Halcyon has a better attachment system than the Manta spring straps. The Halcyon appears to have better construction. Halcyon ships their spring straps in 3 sizes.

I use the Manta spring straps. The K factor of the springs are high enough that I couldn't overextend the spring straps by hand. I think that the rubber attachment points on the fin will rip out before the spring straps overextend.

I was pretty much in your same situation. I opted for the spring straps from Fifth Dimenstion (http://www.fifthd.com). They have worked great so far and I've stretched the crap out of them with no problems. I'm pretty sure there's a piece of cave line inside of them as well. They are pretty tough to stretch, though.

Try Brownie's Southport on Cordova rad in Ft. Lauderdale. They sell spring straps there.

I made the first pair for my Quattros but bought the second pair from Scott on Ebay that are really nice. Machined connectors with a cave line in the spring for about $30. Check out spring straps

Here is an article all about spring straps, the different types, what they are made of and how to make them if you wish:

http://www.deeperstuff.com/spring-strap.htm

I've found the SS springs in 3 wire thicknesses, .053", .062" & .073".

The original Oceanic Spring Straps used .062". I used the .053" and found them too be much too light and easily overstretched. I tried the .073" and found that while I could not overstretch them they were way too heavy. The .062" were juuuuuuuust right, but can be overstretched.

I saw a fellow with some that might have been the Manta (I'm not sure) pull his out of the fin blocks, the wire bent. In looking at them I found that it was somewhat smaller in diameter than the 1/8" SS wire that I use which will never bend.

The Halcyon are cute but I don't like the attachment hardware which is a jet fin strap buckle. I've seen it fail. 1/8" wire does not fail.

Dave D

I've got both the Manta, and the Halcyon straps. The Halcyon has much better attachment hardware IMO. The Manta's wire pulled out from the rubber blocks on me, and I haven't trusted them since.

detroit diver once bubbled...
I've got both the Manta, and the Halcyon straps. The Halcyon has much better attachment hardware IMO. The Manta's wire pulled out from the rubber blocks on me, and I haven't trusted them since.

That's what happened on my buddy's. I'm guessing they were the Manta's. It looked like the SS wire was smaller than what I use and what I have seen on others (5th D, Jackie Smith).

I told my friend to replace it with 1/8" SS wire. Don't know if he did. If you can measure the wire on your Manta's I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom