Halcyon flare light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

since we all understand by now that this is a really good light, I would like to hear more about this new type of battery connection. while my canister can really take a beating (and he has!), this screw in battery sounds like something that might be less durable on rocky boats with regular usage (which is what I do, 2-3 dive days a week). anyone can comment on that?

The new canister is basically a backup light without the head. I wouldn't be concerned about its durability since it seemed pretty sturdy to me. Now Halcyon is also selling just the light head with E/O cords, so you can replace the canister if you want. I think the biggest point of failure might be the magnetic switch though. If you break the safety screw, the light is useless since the switch will flop effortlessly from one side to the other.

The new canister is basically a backup light without the head. I wouldn't be concerned about its durability since it seemed pretty sturdy to me. Now Halcyon is also selling just the light head with E/O cords, so you can replace the canister if you want. I think the biggest point of failure might be the magnetic switch though. If you break the safety screw, the light is useless since the switch will flop effortlessly from one side to the other.

than again, the switch won't leak, which I guess is what halcyon wanted more.

I guess I just need to sell my light and buy this one, than I'll know everything I need about it :)

Matan.

The pricing of the Flare is really attractive. I was actually thinking of buying the 21W LM LED, and with the pricing so close, the Halcyon Flare seems more attractive.

Is it possible to take GoPro videos with the Flare in a cave, or will the videos suck? Not looking for professional quality or anything, just something to keep for memories. Asking 'cos the Focus is much more expensive, and I don't really fancy the complexity if videos are doable with the Flare.

Also, between the 21W LM LED and the Flare, which one would you choose? Please share your thoughts!

The pricing of the Flare is really attractive. I was actually thinking of buying the 21W LM LED, and with the pricing so close, the Halcyon Flare seems more attractive.

Is it possible to take GoPro videos with the Flare in a cave, or will the videos suck? Not looking for professional quality or anything, just something to keep for memories. Asking 'cos the Focus is much more expensive, and I don't really fancy the complexity if videos are doable with the Flare.

Also, between the 21W LM LED and the Flare, which one would you choose? Please share your thoughts!
depending on where you're located you may be able to take one for a spin and see for yourself

Is it possible to take GoPro videos with the Flare in a cave, or will the videos suck?

Since GoPros have a quite wide optic spot diving lights may be not satisfying as a light source - especially when it's the only one. You should test dive Flare and Focus to make a decision if it's worth the extra dollars. I think it will be - the new Focus has no alternatives with such a wide focus range (including 21W HID) and on wide it starts to be useful for Video, IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback and tips. I'll contact our local Halcyon dealer and see if I can try before I buy.

Had the chance to handle one on land.

Pros:
- Adjustable beam angle is very attractive for cave/wreck diving
- Handle rotates to protect light during travel
- Handle adjusts to hand width and height
- Ribbed canister might be better at holding longhose in place vs. conventional smooth canister
- Very long 10hr burn time at low power, 5 hr at high power
- Adjustable controls on light itself (some might not like this)
- Pricing is reasonable
- Looks solidly built

Cons
- Don't really like that the adjustable handle's width doesn't lock in place. Have to manually hold it in place with thumb. Will it move when held by the lighthead in the right hand and moved left-right in the water during valve drill signalling?
- Raised screw switch on handle sticks out and might potentially catch on stuff (or might not) when clipped off
- Brightness seems less than DRIS 1k Shorties by visual inspection? I might be wrong

I don't have a chance to try it in water. The biggest negative I perceive might be having to adjust the width of the handle to fit your hand every time you need to deploy the light after stowing (i.e. clipping off to your D-ring). I did not see a way to tighten any adjustments so it doesn't slide around so easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom