Halcyon gaiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I stated in similar thread, drysuit gaiters do not prevent air from going to your feet, but the do trap air in your feet once the air gets there.

I've never used them, but can you explain that?

Aren't they just something that essentially wraps tight around your calves?

If not a one-way valve, how can they let air in but not out?

It's not a one-way valve. How can they let air in but not out?

I assume Harry means that the air slowly percolates into your feet as you dive, but the gaiters prevent the gas from quickly moving out of your feet when you drop a leg or tilt up briefly--you need to give it a few seconds longer for the air bubble to move past the restriction.

I've been using gaiters for the last 50 dives or so, and I really don't notice a big difference with or without them, and for me they certainly don't exhibit the air-trapping problem described above. One of these days I'll do a dive without them and see if there's suddenly a big difference.

I assume Harry means that the air slowly percolates into your feet as you dive, but the gaiters prevent the gas from quickly moving out of your feet when you drop a leg or tilt up briefly--you need to give it a few seconds longer for the air bubble to move past the restriction.

What he said

Back
Top Bottom