Halcyon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say, that much of the gear I own and dive happens to be Halcyon. Sheer coincidence I suppose but I have found it to be very solid quality easy to use and durable. The only downside is that the LDS likes to joke about how I look sorta like a walking Halcyon ad......... when I was researching canister lights the same LDS tried to use "but it's Halcyon" as a selling point......... :p

The LDS sold me on the Eclipse. So far so good!

I have some Halcyon gear, back up lights, 2 wings, 2 bps, and a manifold.

Ive had one wing for a year and the other suff for about 6 months LOVE it, No probs at all

I think that Halcyon engineers design their equipment well. However, I have a problem with Halcyon's quality control in the assembly of that equipment.

I have an Explorer Wing set. On one of its first uses, the low pressure inflator started leaking (fairly large volume that resulted in my shutting down the supply post). It turns out that the connector to the inflator hose was installed at the factor in a way that caused the o-ring to flatten out and not seat properly. This was easily fixed by replacing the o-ring and tightening back up the connector. Not a big deal, right?

I also bought a set of valves for my doubles. One day, the o-ring from under the bonnet (the part that basically covers the guts of the valve, under the handwheel/knob) extrudes on one of the valves. Luckily, I was on land and just shut down the valve. We tighten-up the bonnet and that is that. Strike two.

A couple of weeks later, while filling my tanks at the shop, the same thing happens on the other side except that this time the handwheel/knob also comes off. We tighten up that side.

Mind you, I am having this crap on the back of my mind while at depth after these events. I just had no confidence in this equipment. Enough was enough.

I just had my annual gear service done. I elected to get complete valve overhauls with new parts just to make sure there are no more of these issues. End of story.

Oh, I also have a Halcyon 10 watt HID light. I have been happy with it though there was a problem with its cord that required return and replacement.

I am really not going to hold the light thing against Halcyon. These things happen, and I had used it for about 20 dives or so before I had a problem. I will also say that when I sent my light back to Halcyon, I got prompt turnaround on the repair and, though I had lost my receipt, they did not charge me for the service.

On the other hand, other than my pockets, my backplate and my MC Storage Pack, there has been issues with all of the expensive stuff. I have had what I felt to be quality control issues. I think that the valve and wings things are pretty inexcusable. Finally, after investing in all this aftermarket overhaul, I will be able to rely on the otherwise good engineering for years to come.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom