halcyon infinity or eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An added benefit of the Deluxe pad kit, it has been noted by several people comparing the two systems out here that the pads actually make the kit feel even more secure on your shoulders, no matter what gear you are wearing.

I have used the same infinity system for both a 3mm, and my heaviest of undergarments under my heaviest drysuit (CF200) on the same day, quite literally an hour apart, followed by loaning it to one of my dive buddies that is double my size. The adjustability is simply wonderful.

Having dove both systems rather extensively, i'd recommend the Infinity for your tropical diving, the ability to finely tune your harness with ease almost seems more important to me when diving with less exposure protection...

Some good points. Most divers "complaining" about the harness (pads or not) feeling unsecure, carries the systems on their shoulders, not the hips. I made this adjustment after my instructor pointed it out and never look back. You will feel the difference even more when diving doubles.

You can easily add the Cinch harness after the fact if you need it, but unless you're regularly switching from light to heavy exposure gear, you're going to set up your harness once and leave it alone. The standard harness will probably be fine. I've worn mine with a T-shirt, and see no need for the padding. Given the fact that tropical diving typically involves salt water and floaty aluminum tanks, I'd go for the SS plate.

I had the immense pleasure of trying both today at a Halcyon demo day. Florida waters, 72 degrees, 3mm wetsuit. Regarding the back and strap padding, with the suit, a minor difference in comfort favoring the Infinity. Just a little more plush, but not unstable by any means. Not a huge deal with the suit but I preferred it (call me wimpy). In the summer, diving with no shirt, I think it would be decisively more comfortable.

The Cinch was the real deal. No way would I go without. We doffed and donned in the water (my wife--brand new certified and no experience with a BP/W at all--and I both tried this) and it was just a breeze. To remove your gear, loosen the waist strap, hook your thumb on the right shoulder strap and pull up. Loosens right up and just slides off. In the water, put it on loose, very easy, and give a quick tug on the waist strap to snug everything down. Heads and shoulders better in my view not even close to not having it.

Just my experience over an hour or so of diving, but if I buy, it will be the Infinity.

Guy

Infinity is an Eclipse with pads and cinch.

I have an Infinity and I like the extra padding for on shore and the cinch is great for getting into and out of the BP. Purist like the Eclipse with standard harness and no pads.

I am very happy with my Infinity. Tough solid units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom