halcyon infinity or eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy12

Registered
Reaction score
hi, what is the differences between the two? which one should i get for tropical rec dive?
thanks
Andy

If you're only going to dive tropical water, I'd get the Eclipse, without the cinch harness; to me the advantage of the cinch is that it's easy to adjust when changing between different thicknesses of exposure suit

If you decide later you're going to dive colder water/thicker wetsuits/drysuit, you can always retrofit it

Yes as tortuga said you can add it on later if you decide you want it but at that time it will cost you an extra 100.00 more then if you just got it now. I would try them both on and see if you like the Idea of the Cinch system/Pads or not. If you do get it now. If you plan on diving in a very thin suit I would get it as the pads will add comfort.

By all means try both if you can and see what you like

But, I have dived my unpadded hog harness with only a rashie, and it's fine IMO

If you just add the cinch later you're still ahead $11 on today's prices

Unless you're doing long shore entries where you have to hump your rig I don't think the padding is worthwhile, even then I think it's questionable value with the AL80 that the OP would likely be using

There was a poll on here somewhere were most people who started with padding wound up in an unpadded hog harness

Besides, the Eclipse comes with the MC storage pack which pads the backplate, so you'd only need to pickup some shoulder pads if you did want to upgrade fully

Hi Andy,

The primary difference between these two BC systems is the adjustability of the secure harness.

The Infinity features our Cinch Quick-adjust harness which is quickly adjusted with a push or pull of the webbing.

The Eclipse BC features our Standard secure harness which is adjusted manually in small increments by moving the harness through the triglide points.

You cannot adjust the Eclipse standard harness size "on the fly" so to speak, so the Infinity is, by far, easier to adjust than the Eclipse. This is true for sizing the harness the first time, or while getting in and out of it when diving, and further down the road you can enjoy an ease of adjustment for different sized suits if need be... it's simply easier to use. This is a huge bonus over the Standard harness on the Eclipse BC.

Bottom line: the Infinity's Cinch quick-adjust harness requires far less time and effort to size/adjust and use, than our standard harness system and the deluxe padding components on the Infinity BC are wonderful for tropical diving comfort.

You'll also need to look at wing size on either system you choose. Typically the Infinity 30 would be the lift capacity of choice for warm water diving, unless your diving needs require more lift support. The 30-lb. wing is ideally sized/shaped to support Al 80 cylinders the best, although our 40-lb. wing works just fine as well.

You will also have the choice of a SS or Aluminum backplate. If you don't need to really minimize luggage weight while traveling, I would suggest the SS plate, it dives very well with Aluminum cylinders and offers a very balanced system.

Both the Eclipse and the Infinity BC's come with ACB10 integrated weight pockets as well.

Silent Planet is our UK distributor and has excellent information. Also, please keep an eye out for the Cinch Quick-adjust video manual showing how easily the Infinity BC can be adjusted. You can also visit Halcyon's main website for the manual or other product details.

Thank you for considering our BC for your diving! If you have any further questions I'll be happy to assist.

Sonya :)

An added benefit of the Deluxe pad kit, it has been noted by several people comparing the two systems out here that the pads actually make the kit feel even more secure on your shoulders, no matter what gear you are wearing.

I have used the same infinity system for both a 3mm, and my heaviest of undergarments under my heaviest drysuit (CF200) on the same day, quite literally an hour apart, followed by loaning it to one of my dive buddies that is double my size. The adjustability is simply wonderful.

Having dove both systems rather extensively, i'd recommend the Infinity for your tropical diving, the ability to finely tune your harness with ease almost seems more important to me when diving with less exposure protection...

thanks everyone, infinity it is, what is the weight difference between ss and alu backplate?

The only downside I have with the Cinch system which I have (The Cinch not the Pads) Is once I switched it it simply didn't feel as secure. It didnt matter if I pulled it tighter or not just the feeling of it. I dive it and dives fine with no issues just was one of my only complaints to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom