Halcyon Inflator Care to prevent sticking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replace with Scubapro Balanced inflator, they are expensive but are truly bulletproof.

oh...but the stainless is so beautifiul. Okay...one more problem and i will consider that.

Since I started putting silicone inside it occasionally, its great. I love the weight of the inflator.

I had one of the original defective inflators on my Eclipse. I ended up doing my AOW checkout dives on oral inflation to work around the problem.

Since I've had it replaced with the redesigned one, I've had -zero- problems with the inflator, or anything else on the wing.

catherine96821:
oh...but the stainless is so beautifiul. Okay...one more problem and i will consider that.

Since I started putting silicone inside it occasionally, its great. I love the weight of the inflator.

I have a SP balanced inflator I got in 1994, in 95 I taught in the Great Lakes with it, late 95 thru 2000 I taught with it in Cayman (never less than 500-600 or so dives a year- no I don't log)
In 2000-2002 I taught in south florida with it.
2002-2005 it sat in my garage
Late 2005 it went on one of my bladders I use with doubles. It's done another dozen plus dives.

I've never serviced it. I've never lubed it and to be honest while living in Cayman hardly ever rinsed it, it lived in the back of my pick up. It's been on 6 different BCD's/bladders all that died around the inflator. The reason it moved is because the inflator that came withthe BCD's died and instead of servicing them(having been down that road of diminishing returns way too many times) I put "OLD TRUSTY " on them instead.

You really think I like recommending a SP product?????!!!!!!

FishTaco:
The inflator you have pictured here is an old style halcyon plastic inflator. This inflator would not be one of the inflators in question.:D
Hope this helps!

Thanks mate for clearing my doubt :D

boomx5:
Throw that POS in the trash and get something that's not going to kill you! Don't even waste your time messing with a sticky inflator and trying to make it right...it's not worth it!

I too have just had my inflator stick during a dive. Fortunately I was not too deep. I clean/rinse retentively after every dive. My LDS was on the boat and quickly took it apart and cleaned it. My LDS made the comment that I could bring it in for servicing for $15.

I am with you - get rid of it. Why should I worry about something so easily correctible with a brand new inflator -when the alternative could kill me??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom