Halcyon Lead Acid Charger Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlockett

Reaction score
I have a Halcyon Proteus 3, which has a Lead Acid battery.

When not in use is it best to leave connected to the supplied charger and mains?

What's the best practice with Lead Acid batteries?

Rich

Rlockett,

My "day job" for the last 18+ years has been designing, building and selling high end bike lights. We have not used SLA batteries in years due to their greater weight (big deal for cyclist) and because although they are inexpensive, they have real problems with cycle life.

Here is the skinny with SLA batteries. Because Sealed Lead Acid batteries are in fact Sealed there is no way to add electrolyte. This means that SLA batteries are intolerant of overcharging. If you over charge any Lead Acid battery you make hydrogen and the internal pressure of the battery rises, this is a minor problem in old style wet cells like car batteries, but in a Sealed Battery electrolyte can be forced past the internal pressure vents.

SLA batteries should be charged with "Float" style charger. This type charger will charge the battery and then automatically switch to a very low float current that will not overcharge the battery.

I don't know if Halcyon uses a float charger, but if their instructions speak to being able to leave the battery on long term charge it is probably a float type. (I can say that some of Halcyon's claims about Ni-Cads are outright wrong, which does raise questions about their battery system enginneering practices)

The real killers of SLA batteries is over discharge. The battery can be over discharged in use, i.e. run down too far, and can selfdischarge to very low levels in storage.

All batteries self discharge, i.e. just sitting there, not connected to anything, the problem with SLA is that self discharge will lead to failure. Typical senario is the users runs his light down on the last use of the season, stores it without charging (more self discharge) pulls it out at the beginning of the next season and it's "toes up" This why we won't sell them.

Appreciate the time you took to answer my question. Instructions for the torch weren't included when it arrived, probably assumed if you can't work out how to use it, you shouldn't have bought it :wink:

Rich

Back
Top Bottom