Question Cobalt 2 Flaky Battery Behavior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How has the battery replacement held up during a dive and since you put the logitec battery in? My wife and I have Cobalt 2's that are 6 years old and the charge is not holding up more than a day or two in sleep mode now and it looks like we are in need of replacing our batteries to keep them usable.

Thanks
We can easily replace batteries if you want. Just message me here. Or we will offer any support needed if you want to do what is described above and replace it yourself. We have checked out the battery listed from Amazon and it's a near identical replacement for the original- close enough that all the fuel gauge functions work as expected. You just need to be able to solder on the connector from the old battery to the new one, otherwise replacing the battery is a simple task.

If you have recent firmware installed you have a battery diagnostic screen available- System Info, Options button, select the Battery Option and you will see a Battery Status screen. But if you are running down rapidly in sleep mode the problem may well be internal discharge from a battery that is nearing its end of life.

-Ron

We can easily replace batteries if you want. Just message me here. Or we will offer any support needed if you want to do what is described above and replace it yourself. We have checked out the battery listed from Amazon and it's a near identical replacement for the original- close enough that all the fuel gauge functions work as expected. You just need to be able to solder on the connector from the old battery to the new one, otherwise replacing the battery is a simple task.

If you have recent firmware installed you have a battery diagnostic screen available- System Info, Options button, select the Battery Option and you will see a Battery Status screen. But if you are running down rapidly in sleep mode the problem may well be internal discharge from a battery that is nearing its end of life.

-Ron

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 34
RonR

Thank you for the note

Both our Cobalt 2's have been upgraded to Formware 2.5

The prior post above are screen pictures of the Battery Status of the two Cobalt 2's With and without the charger connected. IMG_2057 & IMG_2058 is one unit and IMG_2059 & IMG_2060 is the other

Im not sure what the data means, perhaps you can look at them and see what it indicates regarding battery health.

I'll try messaging you, I'm new to the forum and just figuring out how it works.

Dave

Ron,

Looks like I need to do a few more postings on the site before I can send you a direct message.

I noticed the battery status had time to empty in Minutes which I'm guessing is min before batteries are dischared in sleep mode? Do I have this right? one unit indicated 1984 min to empty which is 33 hrs or 1 day + 9 hrs

I need to test if the units will stay charged lone enough for a two tank dive, about 1 hr each. If I connect to my Regulators, put in ready to dive mode and put in a tub with a foot of water would it simulate a dive for test purposes?

Once I have enough posts I'll try direct messaging you

Dave

Ron,

Looks like I need to do a few more postings on the site before I can send you a direct message.

I noticed the battery status had time to empty in Minutes which I'm guessing is min before batteries are dischared in sleep mode? Do I have this right? one unit indicated 1984 min to empty which is 33 hrs or 1 day + 9 hrs

I need to test if the units will stay charged lone enough for a two tank dive, about 1 hr each. If I connect to my Regulators, put in ready to dive mode and put in a tub with a foot of water would it simulate a dive for test purposes?

Once I have enough posts I'll try direct messaging you

Dave
I'll send you a message, that should get around the limitation.

The time to empty is based on current draw at the moment, not in sleep mode. We can't show sleep mode current as when the Cobalt is in sleep we can't run anything to measure it. To accurately measure sleep mode current we need to remove the battery and put the meter between the battery and the Cobalt.

The symptoms you describe could be caused by something preventing the Cobalt from going into sleep mode- if, for instance, the charging adapter were left connected shorting out the wet contacts, or the Cobalt is kept wet, the Cobalt won't fully go into sleep mode. Typically in sleep mode the Cobalt 2 should go down about 1-2% per day and hold a charge for 2-3 months at least. What you are describing is way out of line.

The normal use current you are showing of about 56 mA is exactly what it should be for a medium screen brightness. Screen brightness is the biggest factor in power use. So with a fully functioning battery you should be able to dive for 20-30 hours. Then normal failure path for Li-ion batteries is a gradual reduction in ability to hold a charge, so that can go down with time.

The flag on one of the Cobalts indicates that fast charging is disabled- we don't know why without a deeper look. It's possible the charger is detecting a problem with the battery on that unit.
But to answer your immediate concern, a few questions:
1) How long do these take to get to a fully charged state, and what does it say on the screen when charging is complete? We're trying to determine if the batteries are in fact fully charging.
2) What is the serial # of the Cobalts? This helps us to know the board version and date of manufacture.
3) Are both these Cobalt behaving the same? It would be pretty unusual to have two failing batteries, and the 2nd one shows as completely normal on the battery diagnostic screen.

Submerging just a foot or two isn't enough to keep the Cobalt in a dive mode. There is a workaround by going into a testing mode that will keep the Cobalt running. I'll send that in a direct message.

Ron

How has the battery replacement held up during a dive and since you put the logitec battery in? My wife and I have Cobalt 2's that are 6 years old and the charge is not holding up more than a day or two in sleep mode now and it looks like we are in need of replacing our batteries to keep them usable.

Thanks
Sorry for the slow reply, I don’t come on as often as I should. The battery is doing great. I had it on several dives in Hawaii in early December and it held up. At most, I used 20-25 % over 2 dives each day and I have it set at highest brightness. It’s sat in its case since then and when I checked just now, it’s at 80% so pretty much back to normal.

Thanks for the response, good to hear there is a battery replacement that is working.

I ended up cleaning the area where the charger connects. There was debris which may have been damp and keeping the unit from going into sleep mode. Since then the units lose 1% charge every day or two. I just charged them up again two days ago. I'm monitoring closely and will be diving with them in April.

Anything that keeps the pins at the nose of the Cobalt damp, or shorts them out (as leaving the power adapter inserted could) can prevent it from going into sleep mode. While the display will turn off after 5 minutes, the Cobalt will be in a "standby" mode which consumes much more power than sleep.
Hopefully you have located the issue.

Ron

...I just want to come back in here and say that not only is RonR a hero around these places, the fact that here, YEARS after the product was abandoned by the original manufacturer, here he is providing the support that made me choose this comp in the first place.

So, just a word of thanks... and hopefully won't need to replace my battery quite yet :)

...15 dives over a week in Cozumel, absolutely flawless performance, charged battery once.

Still an amazing computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom