Halcyon Mini Explorer - Should I buy one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

What's everyone's opinion on the mini explorer? It's not cheap for starters, but I do like the compactness and the retractable handle. Being able to have almost full use of both hands while holding the light is an important factor.

Am looking for a primary like that's travel friendly, robust, good battery run times and ease of replacement. I don't cave dive but do plan to dive the wrecks, and maybe a trip to Truk when the time comes. Good quality rechargeable AA are easy to come by and have many other uses, bringing a bunch of them and a charger to a trip is light and easy.

So is the mini explorer too expensive for what it offers and I should look elsewhere? Or is it perfect for my use? I've looked at various online prices, and they tend to go for around US$350, which I could probably justify if it's quality gear and is not likely to break down in a couple of years time.

Thanks in advance for any tips and opinions.

I think it's too expensive for what it is. I also don't like the fact that it only has one O ring. You can get lights with better specs for less. If you want a good travel light take a look at the Mb-sub X1-VB. Many of the smaller lights available can be used with a goodman type handle for hands free use, Hollis, Intova, BigBlue for example, there are others. If you are only buying one light a light with a variable focus is useful as it can be used for day, night and low vis. Try to do a little more research before you commit. Hopefully others will chime in. Good luck.

The integrated handle is a nice feature for an inexpensive travel/primary light.

In my opinion, that feature alone isn't enough to get me to jump on one. For my money, I would get a Scout light.

It's cute, but it's not as well designed as it could/should be for the premium price point. Look at a Light Monkey 3C light if you want a tight bright spot in your backup; the Halcyon Scout (most current version anyway) is a good light but isn't as well built as the LM... in terms of output, it's less focused and more of a flood beam, and has a slightly hotter/whiter light than the LM. I dive with one of each unless I'm using the old Gulftex photon torpedoes.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. The MB-SUB X1 VB does look like what I'm after, mainly for the AA battery support, it's a fair bit cheaper than the mini explorer too.

Any suggestion to online retailers for MB-SUB? I found Golem Gear, but would like to see a few others for comparison.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. The MB-SUB X1 VB does look like what I'm after, mainly for the AA battery support, it's a fair bit cheaper than the mini explorer too.

Any suggestion to online retailers for MB-SUB? I found Golem Gear, but would like to see a few others for comparison.

Golem Gear, I believe, are the American distributors. You could try buying direct from Michael at Mb-sub but due to freight charges he will likely direct you to Golem. If you buy from Golem just make sure they actually have stock before you order. I own several Mb-sub lights and have done for some years, I cannot recommend them enough. The X1-VB is my favourite light. Get one you will not be disappointed.

I have two Scouts and a Photon Torpedo.
I upgraded my Torpedo a couple of years ago to LED, using a UK Led module.

My Scouts are brighter that the UK module in the Torpedo.

I realize that LED technology changes constantly; any suggestions on what the current best upgrade would be?
I might upgrade the LED module if there's something out there that is a reasonably priced option.

@ Buddhasummer: I went to the Golem Gear site to check out that light, and read their linked review. Impressive light for sure!
Cheers,

Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom