Halcyon P-valve leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been chasing a tiny leak in the P-valve area of my drysuit for awhile. At first I wasn't sure whether it was water leaking in or urine leaking from the P-valve, as it really just leave a small "damp spot". But after several days of diving there was no doubt - it is urine leaking, and the occasional drop I've seen in the bore of the plug holding the duckbill valve makes the case.

I finally had the opportunity to completely remove the valve, and disassembled it for a thorough cleaning and inspection. I didn't find anything to explain the leak, until I went to reassemble and the duckbill valve wouldn't fit in the hole in the P-valve body.

I took a closer look, and the diameter of the duckbill valve is now - after soaking in a mild soap solution - about 1/16" - 1/8" bigger diameter than the hole.

I tried inserting the duckbill, and could do so, but looking into the top of the P-valve it was obvious that the duckbill now "buckled" and would most likely not seal.

In this picture you can see how much bigger the diameter of most of the duckbill valve is than where it meets the "shoulder" of the duckbill. You can also see where the "bill" part of the duckbill now curves out:

This is a new duckbill valve I bought, thinking it might solve the leak. I've also read thread about the duckbill leaking if the plug holding it was tightened too much, so I've been careful not to do that.

Now I'm thinking that the duckbill material actually will expand if it is left soaking, thereby causing the duckbill to buckle inside the P-valve leading to the leak.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Henrik

Just found my back-up duckbill. I measured the width of the duckbill on both - as best possible with flexible materials.

Leaking duckbill: 0.343" wide

Backup duckbill: 0.296" wide

Henrik

Follow-up: after letting the duckbill dry for ~24 hours it is now back to normal size and fits in the bore in the P-valve.

So, is this common occurrence or did I get a duckbill from an odd batch - or duck as the case may be :)?

Thanks,

Henrik

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I don't know about swelling...but I did have water coming in and replaced the duckbill valve and no issues now. I did keep the other as a back up, but I shouldn't need it

I don't know about swelling...but I did have water coming in and replaced the duckbill valve and no issues now. I did keep the other as a back up, but I shouldn't need it

Thanks Country.

Now, if you have a leak into the suit through the valve (and not "around" it), in order for it to be just water, you'd need to 1) not have "utilized" your P-valve 2) have a leaking umbrella valve and 3) have a leaking duckbill valve.

This duckbill was my second, and has 20 or so dives on it.

Henrik

I've had a conversation with Halcyon Tech in the "back office". They got back to me quickly and with good information.

- always flush and clean the entire system. (I always do)

- the duckbill does indeed swell up and start to leak if left in water for too long.

I'm thinking - my idea, not a Halcyon recommendation - that flushing the system with alcohol as the last step may help it dry out quicker, which in turn may help avoid the duckbill swelling up. Just a thought.

Henrik

Interesting about the alcohol comment as that is what I have always used...straight alcohol. I still had to replace the duckbill valve as I was getting leaks before it was replaced...but I am wondering if it might be something else since you have already replaced it.

Keep in mind that the alcohol flush is my idea only. Not something Halcyon Tech recommended.

As for the source of my leaks, there really are only 2 possible points it could be leaking from: the duckbill valve and the connector/fitting where the hose attaches.

I've checked the hose connections, and there are no leaks there.

The duckbill can leak if it deforms: tightening the screw too much or swelling. Or potentially if you leave the screw too loose. But you can also get build-up of gunk in the duckbill which could lead to leaking.

I think the best way to avoid build-up as the cause is generous flushing.

Henrik

I have to ask the guys at halcyon about alchohol rinse. I have been using half water / half vinegar in mine. I have never had mine leak. I rinse every day of diving and I sometimes wear this suit / hooked up all day long. I have had friends have duckbill issues and I suggest keeping a backup or two inside your tool kit. Overall this pee valve has been better than those I have used in the past.
I am afraid that the alchohol would cause the materials to breakdown and "dryrot" the parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom