Halcyon Pioneer Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lead bottom

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I've read a lot about Pioneer, and Eclipse wings both on, and off of this board. I read that the Eclipse is a Pioneer on steroids. I just purchased a Pioneer on the advise of a diver that has both Eclipse, and Pioneer wings.

Bottom line - has anyone had durability issues with their Pioneer wing?

I have a 45lb pionnner wing and its a great wing... i really like it.
heres a pic of it in action
f0675c0d.jpg

it doesnt toco that bad but i just finnished a roll and the air traped for a sec
f0675cb6.jpg

Do you feel that it is pretty abraision resistant? How about punctures? I haven't seen mine yet, so I don't know how heavy the material is. I'm going from a Zeagle Ranger to the H BP/W config.

I haven't, unless you count the time I put a knife clean through it.

I have used a Pioneer wing for almost 3yrs, maybe 130 dives on it.

it is a nice "RECREATIONAL" wing. I woudl not subject it to any unessisary abuse though. I had the seams let go on my while Diving In Saudi Arabia this summer, only thing I could figure out was that the extreme heat of the blacktop melted them (air temp of 53C 130F) . it was on the bottom corner of the wing and it must have touched the ground while we were packing up.

I've also had to repair quite a few punctures in that wing.

Do you think the Eclipse would be a better choice? I could have the Pioneer returned, and get an Eclipse.

4 of the guy's I dive with have the eclipse, annd they are tough as nails. Combine the Halcyon backing, And you can't do better.

The Eclipse is tougher, if only because it has an inner bladder (unlike the Pioneer). If the argument is that the Pioneer is lighter, let me say that the Eclipse is light as a feather, so weight should not be an issue. The inner bladder of the Eclipse is nylon not rubber, so it is lighter than any Dive Rite wing I have seen, and it is even lighter than my Scubapro Trav-tek travel wing--and has 11# more lift. The only weighty aspect of the wing is the inflator, which has SS components--but this should be the same for the Pioneer. If you want to lighten the load for travel, I can't imagine a lighter wing setup than a #30 Eclipse with a Scubapro power inflator. If the small Pioneer is lighter, it can only be by a marginal few ounces--not worth the extra toughness offered by the Eclipse. This was my reasoning, anyway, in going with an Eclipse. Just food for thought.

mahjong:
The Eclipse is tougher, if only because it has an inner bladder (unlike the Pioneer). If the argument is that the Pioneer is lighter, let me say that the Eclipse is light as a feather, so weight should not be an issue. The inner bladder of the Eclipse is nylon not rubber, so it is lighter than any Dive Rite wing I have seen, and it is even lighter than my Scubapro Trav-tek travel wing--and has 11# more lift. The only weighty aspect of the wing is the inflator, which has SS components--but this should be the same for the Pioneer. If you want to lighten the load for travel, I can't imagine a lighter wing setup than a #30 Eclipse with a Scubapro power inflator. If the small Pioneer is lighter, it can only be by a marginal few ounces--not worth the extra toughness offered by the Eclipse. This was my reasoning, anyway, in going with an Eclipse. Just food for thought.

hyjack! why were'nt you at the quarry!!!!

Amphibious:
I have used a Pioneer wing for almost 3yrs, maybe 130 dives on it.

it is a nice "RECREATIONAL" wing. I woudl not subject it to any unessisary abuse though. I had the seams let go on my while Diving In Saudi Arabia this summer, only thing I could figure out was that the extreme heat of the blacktop melted them (air temp of 53C 130F) . it was on the bottom corner of the wing and it must have touched the ground while we were packing up.

I've also had to repair quite a few punctures in that wing.

How many is quite a few, and do you think the wing is to easily punctured?

Back
Top Bottom