Halcyon products confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL:
Erm, that would rather beg the question of why he feels the need to manufacture a 40lbs single rig model.
Not all Halcyon gear is DIR.

dbg40:
This is a little harsh isn't it? I would'nt call him an accident waiting to happen because he chooses an extra 10 lbs of lift. So jj is saying that "conventional wisdom" as he sees it, dictates only the minimum lift in any rig? interesting....... I use the 30 lb wing on a single, and find it adequit for my needs, 7 mm wet, CLX 450, steel 119's.
IF,, however, I used a 40 lb wing, I would take exception to being called an accident waiting to happen. Hence the arrows being slung at DIR......

Using a 40lbs wing does not make one an accident waiting to happen, but needing that extra 10lbs of lift does according to JJ. If he's going the DIR route, then he'll be diving a balanced rig and should not have any need for the extra lift if you believe JJ. Anyway, I just thought he might want to know because of his post in the DIR section, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

*Floater*:
Using a 40lbs wing does not make one an accident waiting to happen, but needing that extra 10lbs of lift does according to JJ. If he's going the DIR route, then he'll be diving a balanced rig and should not have any need for the extra lift if you believe JJ. Anyway, I just thought he might want to know because of his post in the DIR section, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

Please understand, I was not "killing the messenger". No slight on you at all. I just cannot understand the wisdom (balanced rig or not) of diving the minimum lift one would require. And as it has already been said, why does he make one? If this diver feels the need to have additional lift, with no added encumberance to the rig in any manner, than he should be able to buy it without the inference that he is a disaster waiting to happen. Just bad form.

*Floater*:

I'm not really decided on the DIR route, but I'd like to keep future purchases compatible with the DIR system to at least keep my options open. I'd certainly hate to buy a BP/W now and then need to change it completely in a couple of years if I decide to follow the DIR route.

To be honest, I'll probably never go full DIR if only because of the "no computers" clause, but I don't really see any reason to unnecessarily close off the option either.

Trust me..buying a 40 lb wing instead of a 30 lb wing will in NO WAY have an effect on your compatibility with DIR. And you will not have to change anything untill you go to doubles. Relax, and buy what you want between the two.

BarryNL:
I'm not really decided on the DIR route, but I'd like to keep future purchases compatible with the DIR system to at least keep my options open. I'd certainly hate to buy a BP/W now and then need to change it completely in a couple of years if I decide to follow the DIR route.

To be honest, I'll probably never go full DIR if only because of the "no computers" clause, but I don't really see any reason to unnecessarily close off the option either.
This is the best post I have seen for picking the right size wing.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1787461&postcount=3

also note. Its better to have more lift, than not enough. 10lb lift difference is not a big deal. 60lbs is.

dbg40:
Trust me..buying a 40 lb wing instead of a 30 lb wing will in NO WAY have an effect on your compatibility with DIR. And you will not have to change anything untill you go to doubles. Relax, and buy what you want between the two.
Yep

*Floater*:
Using a 40lbs wing does not make one an accident waiting to happen, but needing that extra 10lbs of lift does according to JJ.
Really? Do you have a quote where JJ says that?

JeffG:
Its better to have more lift, than not enough. 10lb lift difference is not a big deal. 60lbs is.
I used to use a DR rec wing for singles. Was it going to kill me? No. Was it optimal? No. Did I figure out how to dive it? Yes. Would I do it again or recommend it? NO!

Balancing is just that. having everything at it's optimal bouyancy, and controlling it in any attitude or condition in the column. This in no way means that the minimum, is the correct answer. A BPW makes this exercise possible with a greater ease, and precision, and adding 10 lbs of lift to your wing is acceptable. Necessary?.. probably not. Size It is of 0 consequence between 30 and 40 lb wings. In fact, it would be dificult to tell the difference between the two wings at a glance. As stated,, were not talking about going to an 60 lb. Evolve for an AL 80 here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom