(halcyon) surface marker vs. liftbag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solteszkristian

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I need a new marker, to use at deco / safety stops at the end of (ocean) wreck dives. Which should I choose - a CC 'deco sausage' or a CC liftbag. Are there any situations you could think of, when the sausage isn't enough? Which are you using yourself and why?

Regards

/Kristian

Shooting an upline from a wreck at depth in a strong current requires a good deal of lift to prevent the lift bag or surface marker from getting pulled under the surface. I have not used anything but a lift bag so I can't give a definitive answer, but I would be concerned about a deco sauage having enough lift in this situation.

This tool is used to lift things off the ocean floor, or move them around while on it.

A surface marker isn't as heavy, and shouldn't be used for lifting.

This is much like the big knife/small knife /shears discussion.

A big sharp knife or lift bag does everything. A small knife, shears, and surface marker have nitch uses.

For a good hybrid between the lift bag and surface marker see:

http://carterbag.com/personalfloat.html

FT

Halcyon made a semi-closed bag that I looked at and really liked the design of.

Seemed to be very logical and I think it would take one hell of a current of wake to knock it down....in which case, you would know because there would be no more tension in the line...

MAtter of fact, hte more I talk about it, the more I like it.

Actually I like the look of the SMBC model in the AP Valves range - self sealing, can be inflated with a reg, and has a dump valve located where a diver can actually use it - the dump valve on the Halcyon self sealing bag is at the top of the bag. Haven't tried using it, but it would seem logical that if you're ever using it to lift something, you would want the dump valve lower on the bag to make it more accessable.

Plus the AP Valves have an all-orange and all-yellow variants - use orange for safety, yellow for emergency.

If my little yellow "see-me" 4' sausage dies or goes missing, I'll be getting the larger, more visible AP Valves to replace it. I'll keep my CC Halcyon bag until it dies/disappears as well - while not tall, they're a big round blob that are pretty visible in the conditions I stick to.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
it would seem logical that if you're ever using it to lift something, you would want the dump valve lower on the bag to make it more accessable.

Having the pull for the dump valve does make it more accessible, but it also puts you at increased risk when lifting something heavy. You really do not want to get snagged on the bag, the object of or the rigging when your 500 lb rock decides to head for the bottom 200 ft below. Placing the dump valve on top of the bag keeps you above things and in the clear - much safer.

If you are using a lift bag for an upline, having the dump on the bottom is ok (although this puts the ball on the outside of the bag when it is rolled up which puts it where it can wrap around things) but if you are using it for lifting, you really should reinstall the valve upside down and remove the extra cord from the dump valve leaving a couple inches between the valve and the ball on top of the bag. This also means the ball is rolled inside the bag when it is stowed.

Thanks for the answers!

I think I'll go with a CC sausage (halcyon has one). I do not need it for lift, and just for curiousity I went wreck diving with a borrowed sausge. There was plenty current, and the bag was deployed from approximately 35 msw. The boat driver told me later, that there was no problem with it whatsover. It stayed floating...

/Kristian

The Halcyon markers have a LOT of lift... as much as 52# I think that's plenty!

I do, however, want the Halcyon Life Raft!!! I think that's so cool to have!!!! HAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

Even if you're not diving!!! You can use it as those inflatable beach rafts! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom