Half Moon Lake, Muskegon County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any info on Half Moon Lake, that is located next ot M-37 just south of Bailey? I was talking to someone that was telling me that she sees divers in the lake quite often. Is there anything special to see, or is is just a place to get wet?

There was a train bridge that went over the lake at one time. There is a lot of lumber from it but the vis is often very bad.

What area of the lake is that located? I would assume that it is in the narrowest section, which also appears to be the shallowest.

That is true. The train trussell is only about 10 feet down from surface. I did a dive there about four yeasr ago. Water was 41 at 70 feet.

There was a train bridge that went over the lake at one time. There is a lot of lumber from it but the vis is often very bad.

So when you say vis is often very bad, what exactly do you mean?

Is it worth taking a look for somebody who has never been there before.

(its funny that this post surfaced recently because somebody just told me briefly about this lake so I was going to research it myself)

THANKS!

So when you say vis is often very bad, what exactly do you mean?

Is it worth taking a look for somebody who has never been there before.

(its funny that this post surfaced recently because somebody just told me briefly about this lake so I was going to research it myself)

THANKS!

Well I have only dove it once and the vis was five feet, I was then told by others that it does not get much better than that. So I have not been back, but give it a try and let us know what you find.

That is true. The train trussell is only about 10 feet down from surface. I did a dive there about four yeasr ago. Water was 41 at 70 feet.

Is there anything interesting to see in the deeper area of the lake?

Let me guess! Someone told you that there was a sunken train in the lake. And that "someone" was not a diver, but just someone repeating a rumor :shakehead:. How'd I do?

(If I only had a dollar for everytime I have heard of a train in the bottom of the lake, I wouldn't have to worry about paying for air fills for a few years.)

Is there anything interesting to see in the deeper area of the lake?

No. When I dove there it was just cold and dark. I think the dive leader was narcked because when we came up he thought the bottom of the lake was moving around kind of funny. My dive there was in June of 2004. I did however cut a large mouth bass free that was caught on some fishing line and trapped to the train trussell. I have not been back to dive there since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom