half stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True that, Rick!
Elusive, and likely variable... maybe highly variable.
Uncle Ricky on theDecoStop:
You must bear in mind that all decompression algorithms are, essentially, measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk, then cutting with an ax.
Rick
Rick

Oh, Rick, that may be one of the most quoted single sentences in all the scuba diving web!

Yes, well, it did sort of take off, didn't it? Back in the 70's I used it in reference to weapons (big bombs) strike planning (even though you're dealing with a very big boom, the more precise your aim the better your chance of destroying the target), but it fits here - and in many other places - as well... :)
Rick

If you do a deep stop on a no-deco dive, then it's called a multilevel dive.:wink:

The only way you can stay underwater and not on-gassing is when you are at very shallow depth.

Deco diving is a totally different animal. They have deco schedule to follow. I don't understand why rec divers think that they have to do things tech or quasi-tech. What works or required for tech doesn't automatically translate to rec.

Worry about the bend? Take your time in the ascension process. Go up as slow as your remaining gas allows.

Exactly. Dive in Bonaire and when you're done on the reef, follow the sand to the shore. Safety stop? Pfft! :cool2:

(I'm being glib here. But if you take time to smell the... sand, it does work essentially equivalent to doing a safety stop.) And there's actually lots of cool stuff in the sand if you slow down and let stuff poke back out from their hidey holes.

i think that NWGratefulDiver is on target. doing a half stop as i understand it from these postings acomplish a reduction of issues that may lead to legal issues with the agencies. You know ... "We recommend doing things that are not required... to be extra safe". (WHAT IS THE NEXT EXTRA SAFE THING???) if a rec diver gets hurt then it is one more thing that is labeled the divers fault not the training. i would say that it follows the same path as 1.6 atm to 1.4 atm soon perhaps 1.2..... I have been doing half stops for as long as i can remember when diving over 60 ft. only as a conservative act due to age or fitness of myself, for unknown problems, or if I cant hold the 15 safety stop and pop to the surface. oops there i go the 15 ft stop is only a safety stop and not a required stop. hmmmmm i guess i am making a consertive stop at 1/2 in addition to a consertvative stop as 15. whoa double extra safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom