Halfway there....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suddha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did my classroom and pool sessions Friday, Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. The instructor was great - he peppered his explanations with personal anecdotes and stories from the real world. It made it interesting and more concrete. I realized during the classes that learning this stuff really is about repetition. After reading the OW book, watching the DVDs, going over the same materials in class and then applying them in the pool, I knew it inside out. Aced the quizzes and tests. The dive tables are actually fun!

All the things I thought would be difficult or scary turned out not to be at all - mask replacement and clearing, swimming sans mask, alt air source breathing, etc. The only things with which I had trouble were removal and replacement of weight belt and BCD underwater. I think I must be naturally buoyant cos as soon as the weight belt came off, I had a hard time staying upright and in control. Practice helped though.

The only gripe I have about the class was that there were 10 students. Too many people for the relatively small pool. I think the instructor handled us all well, but it was simply a matter of not enough space for that many bodies.

Now I can't wait for the open water dives! Alas, have to wait for our lakes here at 45 degrees north to warm up enough. Unless I jet to the tropics for a weekend.... wishful thinking.

I want to thank all who have responded to my posts here over the past few months. I owe a lot of my comfort level in my classes to what I have learned here on ScubaBoard.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom