Halibut Point diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone's been diving Halibut Point ?
I know this is one we would not do too often as the walk to the shore is really really long and tough, but I guess it might be worth... Is there a best place to get into the water and a best time ? high tide, low tide ?

I think I might try this one day... Since this is a nice and rocky place, there must be plenty of bugs hiding there, waiting for us to pick, right ??
:D

Darn I wish I would have a boat, even a small one to get to these places :cool2:

Back before getting a boat, in my shore diving days, I used to dive Halibut Point all the time. It is a great dive spot! Yes, the walk down stinks, but it is well worth it! We used to be able to park right on the big curve in the road there and there was a path leading past the quarries, then take your first left down to the rocks/water, if you were feeling good, keep going a bit...!

The diving was spectacular - lots of big rocks, lots of lobsters, fish, etc. At one point we had rigged up a dolly like cart to help carry everything down. Another option that we used to do occasionally is to station a 2nd tank at the rocks, suit up at the car and go in the water in between the 2 restaurants at the curve - do the first dive out along that wall, then to the right and end where your tank is, switch and do a 2nd dive there in front. If we were feeling good after the 2nd dive, we wound get out of the water and just walk all of the way to the car with the gear on, then go back for the rest.

Darn... what I used to put myself through before the boat... what a candy-a$$ I am turning into...! :) ha!

Have fun - good luck!

I have dove Halibut once off a friends boat. (anyone with a boat is a friend) and yes, there are lots of bugs and cool Granite boulders but not worth the effort If it's bugs you want, go to Lanes but you risk of run ins with the locals.

Too bad there aren't dive sherpas and enterprising yout's that would schlep our gear up and down at Halibut point and Cat Rocks. I would be willing to pay a kid a few bucks to be my dive caddy. ("Please don't scratch the weights boy..")

I like the idea of going in between the two restaurants though I think the owners of the red restaurant wouldn't like you diving off their property. I think there are signs saying no diving off there. There is a goat path to the right of the yellow restaurant and I have heard of others diving off the rocks there and no issues parking by there.

The wall is an impressive dive especially at end of day with sun shining on it. Did a CAD dive off it once. Really cool dive.

I've visited Halibut Point regularly for the past 10 years and have always wondered about anyone diving in the quarry.

I'm sure this is prohibited, but am curious to hear any tales from anyone who might have dove there in the past.

I too was curious enough to sneak in once. Nothing of interest, poor visibility, lot's of garbage. It's not that deep. about 60 feet in the section I checked out.. The sign says no "swimming". Doesn't say anything about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom