Hammerhead dragged onto beach and gives birth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shark was dragged in so that the hook could be removed, which you see if you actually watch the video to the end. Some of these posts here seem to be uninformed knee jerk reactions. The hook was removed, the shark was released and is not in therapy.

The shark was dragged in so that the hook could be removed, which you see if you actually watch the video to the end. Some of these posts here seem to be uninformed knee jerk reactions. The hook was removed, the shark was released and is not in therapy.

Sure about that??:wink:

I find the things we'll rage against so funny and frustrating at the same time. I'm a HUGE shark nut. I've loved 'em from as early as I can remember and passionately! I had the movie SHARKWATER played at my local community college for the student body, when I lived in rural southwest Georgia. I love the ocean and consider myself a rational and reasonable conservationist. That means that while I highly value the resources of the ocean, I eat sushi and fish tacos regularly.

I understand the initial reaction from the posters regarding this video as I've been well conditioned to protect and be an advocate for sharks. But I also know that sharks have been through similar distress and maybe even more so sometimes at the hands of researchers who had their best interests at heart too. I'm sure the shark didn't think so any more than I was thankful of the last shot I got at the doc's office.

This guy wasn't being evil or some wicked human, threatening the earth and oceans with resource-sucking, lack-of-concern selfishness like you see most Hollywood movies portray us when promoting the environmental agenda. He was fishing. He caught a hammerhead. He wanted to get the hook out. He did. He let it go. It swam off.

I'm for being environmentally conscious. I support responsible stewardship of resources. But sometimes I think we've just gone a bit overboard; taking ourselves too serious, even with good intent. We saw a 1 minute video and assumed the worst or thought we had it all figured out. We were as bad or WORSE than those who initially thought the shark was having pups. After closer observation, they found out they were incorrect. I wonder if we'll do the same about this horribly corrupt human being, whom we've judged to be scum.....

Lighten up and go rail after the REAL human scum who are actually doing harm. That'd be energy better spent! :)

Back
Top Bottom