Hand Dredging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lone Frogman

Amphibious
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anybody make their own suction jet nozzles? Got plans?

I've seen people who have, but it requires a lot more equipment and skills than I have. IT would probably be faster / cheaper to find a used one. What size are you looking for and what size is your pressure hose?

I'm cheap and handy at making things, sometimes its a curse. After I spend 100 hours and hundred dollars on parts I'll go buy one. My plan is to make a prototype out of plastic than after I get it right, I'll make it with steel or SS steel. Pressure hose is 1.5 with about 150GPM

Well, I suppose you have already seen pics of them, they aren't too complicated. You will need a good mandrel and welder. An 1 1/2" pressure hose can easily be used on a 3" suction. If you are using a HP pump, you could use it on a 4" suction.

Well, I suppose you have already seen pics of them, they aren't too complicated. You will need a good mandrel and welder. An 1 1/2" pressure hose can easily be used on a 3" suction. If you are using a HP pump, you could use it on a 4" suction.
Yes,its fine tuning them.

I have been looking at that one.

Attachments

• seadoo.jpg
    seadoo.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 243
You want to make an airlift or a dredge?

Mailboxing is sloppy and the reason that Mel Fisher's people are 20 years later going back and re-sifting through everything because they blew millions in emeralds all over the bottom with the mailboxes.

Also - having dug holes with a scooter as well... I'd say this. No puns intended but sucking is better than blowing for digging a hole. Suction allows you to see where you're working. Blowing a hole pretty much kills the viz totally, and then you're working in the dark, which defeats the purpose of looking for stuff... yes?

Dredge, I already have the hoses and pumps. I'll more then likely buy the nozzle from Keene.
I have used the scooter, it does work for uncovering larger items. A good current always helps too.

Back
Top Bottom