Hand signals for remaining air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wannabedivin

Registered
Reaction score
This is not a troll and am not trying to agency bash. I do a lot of diving with newer divers and here is what I see. Lets say a person has 1200 pounds left and is giving this information to his dive buddy.

Method 1: Using one hand with each finger representing 100 pounds. So in this case the diver flashes 5 fingers, then flashes 5 fingers then flashes two fingers.

Method 2: Using both hands at the same time the diver flashes one finger on one hand representing 1000's and the at the same time flashes two fingers on the other hand hand representing hundreds

Method 3: Using 1 hand flashes one finger showing a 1000, then flashes two fingers for for 200.

I am just looking for some observations from experienced divers. Here in the Pacific NW, where much of our diving is in dark waters, Method 1 seems to be the prevalent due to the need to use the other hand to shine a light on the fingers so the partner can see them.

Method 1 just gets damn confusing. Method 3 seems to work well. I don't think 2 hands should have to be used to display a sign or signal.

When I was teaching, or leading a guided dive - prior to entering the water, we would establish a turn pressure according to the dive site. When I would flash the "check gauge" sign, if they were above the turn pressure, I got an OK sign. If they were at or below, I would get the thumb, or the turn sign. If for some reason I have to know the exact pressure, I just grab their gauge and look at it.

I'm not all that experienced (yet...hehehehehehe), but I was taught the one hand method. Using two hands could be confusing, as it could be read 2100, depending on which hand was flashing the numbers, and how the buddy was reading it. There's a big difference between 1200 and 2100, and I know I wouldn't want my buddy to misinterpret it!

If you really need to know the exact pressure I use this method. Touching your forearm with one, two or three fingers distended from a closed fist to represent 1,000 2,000 or 3,000 respectively. Flash hundreds of pounds with hands held in front with the appropriate number of fingers distended from a closed fist. 4 fingers up is 4,000 and so on.

To summarize a signal for 2,400. Touch 2 fingers against forearm then flash 4 fingers in front of you in open water.

This could be a problem if you are in dark waters. I do like the idea of everyone managing there own gas consumption and turning at a predetermined pressure.

Yet another method:

1-2-3-4-5 = one, two, three, four and five fingers, respectively.
6-7-8-9 = one, two, three and four fingers, respectively, with your hand turned 90 degrees.

edit: http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/FreePDFs/Onehandnumbering.pdf, though I see no need to signal "zero."

I use this same method....but I do use zero as needed such as in compass headings or other number combo's were the zero is important.

I use this same method....but I do use zero as needed such as in compass headings or other number combo's were the zero is important.

I've never had it (zero) come up in any dive, but there ya go. Compass heading is a use for zero.

My method in this case would be 1 finger(index finger)laid over my forearm(stands for 1000----2000 would be 2 fingers, index & middle finger across forearm) then 2 fingers(index & middle finger) raised upward indicating 2 hundred, hence 1200......above 5(5fingers raised upward) would be counting 6 thru 9 the following----6= index finger pointing horizontally, 7= index & middle finger pointing horizontally, 8= 3 fingers horizontally, 9= 4 fingers pointing horizontally............GEAUX TIGERS..........

Regardless of which methods we use...it's important to share it with your dive buddies to ensure everyone is on the same playing field.

Most of the divers I persl. dive with are experienced sport and or technical divers and we rarely find it ness. to exchange remaining gas communications on dives as strict gas mang. is determined prior to the dive and maintained.

Within the recreational diving I do I find it more of a common underwater data exchange divers find useful and comforting particularly with newer divers and buddies whom have little actual experience diving with each other.

:)

All the methods work. I prefer one-handed signals, especially in Puget Sound waters, and I generally illuminate the signaling hand to make it easier for the other diver to see it.

The danger of any signal that requires multiple motions is that the other diver will miss one or more of the parts. I have had someone urgently turn a dive because he thought another diver signaled "500 psi", when in fact he had signaled "1500 psi".

It is a good idea to agree on the signaling conventions before you get in the water, and also agree that any pressure signal will be mirrored, not just given an OK. That way, you are sure that your partner(s) have correctly received the information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom