Hand signals for remaining air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fairly standard system here is closed fist with palm towards you == 50 bar
one hand vertical, one horizontal on top (ie a T shape) = 100 bar
then each finger = 10 bar.

Works for follow the leader group herding when having to guide.

BSAC we train to show the gauge. Eliminates read errors due to narcosis and so on and a better idea for small groups/pairs.

Regardless of which methods we use...it's important to share it with your dive buddies to ensure everyone is on the same playing field.

Most of the divers I persl. dive with are experienced sport and or technical divers and we rarely find it ness. to exchange remaining gas communications on dives as strict gas mang. is determined prior to the dive and maintained.

Within the recreational diving I do I find it more of a common underwater data exchange divers find useful and comforting particularly with newer divers and buddies whom have little actual experience diving with each other.

:)

We rarely communicate gas remaining, but we'll sometimes change plans (e.g. rock bottom) according to real conditions, in which case we'll signal something such as "turn at 2100."

Zero is a fist during your hand signal motions

Hey Sean, that's not how I taught you! LOL

A closed hand (fist) is STOP or HOLD POSITION. ZERO is index fingers curled down to meet the thumb curled up, forming a circle or a "zero".

You know that!

I think that as long as the people you dive with are comfortable and familiar with what you are signaling it is all good. We usually just worry about 500 psi in which case you get the other peoples attention tap your pressure gauge and hold up 5 fingers, that way they know what you are talking about.

I use the same method as rock, where the palm faces forward with 1-5. Back of the hand with 6-10. However, my buddies and I have one twist. 6-10 is the same with the back of the hand, however it is sideways. Given that we are often horizontal in the water I would more clearly say 90 degrees from where 1-5 is... It sound mildly complicated, but this method keeps one hand clear to do other buisness. Once you have it all worked out with your students/buddy it is really efficient and easy... I also just use the good old thumb and forefinger trick to make and old fasioned zero...

Back
Top Bottom