Hand signals procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...spring the $13 and get Wetnotes so there is never, ever any communication gap. You will always know just what your buddy is saying, meaning or thinking because you will hand your buddy YOUR wetnotes and say "write it down, man...."

Its the best $13 you'll ever spend, and the smallest, cheapest piece of safety gear you can dive with.

---
Ken

Marek K:
Better might be to use the "question" signal first, then the other other one -- so your buddy know that what follows is a question/suggestion.

So... in rec diving, under what circumstance would you use "swim that way" as a no-debate command?
When leading a dive I often signal the intended general path of travel, particularly when there is any change from the obvious straight line path. It makes your buddy's life a lot easier when he knows ahead of time that you are going to swim off over to that isolated coral head, go around it, then back up a sand channel. I don't expect any debate or discussion, although while still on the boat I usually tell my buddy to feel free to get my attention and indicate where they would like to go if they see something interesting (This positive suggestion seems to work better than admonishments to stay close and not go wandering off without telling me).

Although non-standard, what works well for general direction of travel signs is a kind of chopping motion with a flat vertical palm in the new direction; or just mimicing the intended travel and turns with my hand. "This is a really cool spot and I'm going to hang out here and check everything out" is simply a downward pointing finger making big circles.

--------------------------

Back closer to the question on the original post, one area of potential confusion is immediate ascent command vs. turn-the-dive vs. return-to-boat/anchor line/upline. I just confirm the turn-the-dive signal as part of the same discussion where we agree upon turn pressure.

When my buddy signals to ascend I usual give the thumbs up along with an exaggerated nod. It does the same as what you do TikTok, but it reduces any confusion for me.

Sometimes when I started out I did signal thumbs up instead of ok. What I did immediately was shake my head and then signal ok. Be really exaggerated if you do something wrong!

Sorting out signals before hand really helps sort out these kind of accidents, but these things do happen!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Marek K:
Yes. There have been some recent threads about this... what people think are universally-recognized standard signals, aren't. Not by a long shot.
Particularly in resort areas where the tourist divers come from many different areas. Unfortunately, I've run into several cases where a diver thought that, just because everyone back home used a particular signal, that it was universally understood.

spstar:
You all need to check out Suzanne's Site called Sea Signs she has an excellent program for underwater sign language http://www.seasigns.com/
Perhaps good for a permanent pair of buddies, but the seasigns are definitely NOT widely understood.

Charlie99:
Perhaps good for a permanent pair of buddies, but the seasigns are definitely NOT widely understood.

Very true.

If you dive with the same people, or your wife or SO or whatever - this is a semi-viable option. Of course, if you're regularly diving with someone, you already have signs for 99% of this stuff that you two already understand, so relearning it all seems pointless.

When if doubt, write it out.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Wetnotes [...] When in doubt, write it out.
Yeah... particularly if you're tempted to make up unplanned spur-of-the-moment hand signals, or if you're communicating something complex. No matter how absolutely clear you think you're being, you're not.

Another option would be a slate. I don't have a thigh pocket for wetnotes, and keeping them in a BC pocket would be tough to get to. I used to use a conventional flat slate, but it was tough to get in and out of a BC pocket too. So I got a forearm-mounted slate; it was flat, so I heated it in the oven and curved it to shape. I use it a lot. Works best when your buddy has a slate too.

--Marek

Thumb up and ascend will have him follow eveytime

Marek K:
Works best when your buddy has a slate too.

--Marek

Having your buddy write on YOUR forearm mounted slate would be a little tough... like a sick upside down reading sideways silt kicking ballet.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom