Handler for Gopro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian746

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all photography enthusiasts

I am wondering if some of you who have used a Handler (floating handle) with a GoPro cam, can offer some insight... I recently bought a handler off Amazon and it is hollow. The back comes off which means I can either leave the handle empty (to make it buoyant) or add water in it.
I would probably want to leave it empty since I want the cam to float up if I loose it, but what about the pressure as we dive further down... as we go down further the air inside will compress and the outside water pressure might become enough to bend / dent the handle...I am wondering if any of you have experienced anything like this? Or can offer some insight?

I think that handle is mainly intended for above water watersports. Most of us with a gopro use either a pole or a tray system for scuba diving. You can spend $10-60 on poles, and $25-200 on trays. I ditched my pole for a homemade tray (out of PVC Pipe and bike handgrips).

That said, if you're going to take a handle with a void space diving you should probably open it up allowing water to flow in/out. Otherwise it'll likely get crushed at depth.

#1 thing you should do when taking a gopro diving is make sure you have it attached to you. If it floats away to the surface while you're diving, it's gone. If it sinks to the bottom, it's likely gone. Attach it to something using the little lanyards that come with all the gopro stuff. I wouldn't use the little white sticky things as they'll come off in the water. Attach it to something (wrist, bcd, whatever) that you won't lose so you can just let go of the camera without fear of losing the thing.

I use a small tray made by Big Blue, and I am happy with the results.

I purchased the same floating handle before my trip to the Bahamas last month. I took it down to 130 feet empty, no issues with the handle, though the GoPro case was beginning to squeeze the camera.

I used the GoPole Bobber, and I did not realize it was meant to float. So every time I went to find the gopro, is was floating to the left of my head and out of my eye sight. I had a carabiner hooked to the left D-ring on my harness on my chest. It was not difficult to find, just a pain as it was not in my sight.

Next dive, Im looking for a handle that does not float....And or a tray. Although, hooking it to my tank and letting the gopro do its thing might catch some good footage.. or not.

This one for ref...
GoPole - Bobber Floating Hand Grip - Yellow

Hi All

Thanks for all your feedback. I used my gopro with the handler this weekend and I just wanted to let you all know that it survived! There was no crushing! or denting or any problems with the handle at all. I had it tied to my right wrist and yes it was floating but it was close enough to my wrist that i could grab it anytime i wanted. Yes this does mean that it might interfere with anything else you are trying to do with your right hand. I went down to 20m and there was no issue with the handler vacuum being empty.
In case anyone is interested this is the item I picked up - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KNTP6CE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did leave the cam recording while I was not holding it so it was getting tossed around so the footage was a bit nauseating to watch later :)

Thanks!

The GoPro is way too light for great video. Get a tray like from Snake River Prototype. The weight gives better control and the two round handles really allow smooth panning and doubles as a tool for framing if you have your GoPro centered. Here's some footage I shot with mine:

srsrptry.jpg

Chairman, I just checked out the tray from Snake River. I like it! Not a bad price and it looks well made and sturdy! I just bought a new Gopro 5 for Roatan! I think the tray is my next purchase.

Mine will be there. It's an awesome product. Now go get the Flip Filter from Backscatter. They have some good trays as well like this one: Isotta Compact Camera Tray. I'm thinking about upgrading my 4 to a 5 as well. We'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom