Happy 229th USMC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
And godspeed to all those in harms way.
Semper Fi

Thoughts and prayers are with all Marines today... Happy 229... Semper Fi!!

:usa:
I always enjoy telling this story, even more so on our birthday.
On 10 November 1775, our Continental Congress enacted into law our Continental Marine Corps, so our Continental Navy could have one, like other navies around the world. Delegates then went down to Tun's Tavern and recruited sharpshooters to serve - from whence we have our traditions that all Marines are riflemen first, as well as hard drinkers.

Marines of other nations served on ships to protect the officers from possible mutinies, but our men were all patriots. Having little else to do during naval encounters with the British, our Marines took their rifles up in the sailing riggings to shoot at English cannon operators, making their top row of cannons worthless and giving our ships a strong edge.

SEMPER FI!!
:salute:​

And we have millions of other stories, but here's another I like to tell at times, and I'd like to share here once more..

My brother, sister and I had tried to care for our dad in his elder years and encourage him to follow doctors orders after his quintiple bypass, then after he broke his hip, and then after he broke the other one, but then - when 24 hours sitters and family weren't enough, we got to learn about nursing homes. We found a good one on the second move, but I do not want to live that long.

He'd pretty well lost interest in living, but he didn't want us to stop living ourselves until he died, so I booked a quick diving trip to North Carolina Memorial Day Weekend last year. I knew that if things turned badly, and I rushed home with wet hair, I might have to request 02 on the plane, but it went okay. I passed Cherry Point on the way back to the airport, and stopped in at ET's for bumper stickers and such.

Dad was a Seagoing Marine on the Intrepid in WWII , and had been to visit it a few years ago in NYC harbor where it floats as a museum now. My sister had called ahead to let them know that a vet was coming, and they had rolled out the welcome - keys ready to unlock secured areas and all. He'd come back with a commenterative cap from that visit, but I hadn't seen him wear it lately. I was delighted to find him a new one at ET's, brought it back to him at the home, and - it was the last smile we got out of him.

Things turned bad a few days later, and he passed on a Thursday morning. We had his discharge papers ready for the funeral director to call HQ Marine Corps, but then - I'd spoke with the Top at my old reserve unit about the anticipated need a couple of times. We then attended hundreds who traveled over the long weekend to make the funeral, and I remember my brother asking just before services if the Marines were a done deal. I said I felt we could trust them to send a few - to take care of their own.

After the church services, the caravan headed for the gravesite, and as we got in sight range, we could see the 8 man Dress Green Firing Squad at Parade Rest near the family plot, Dress Blues standing by the grave next to mom's. This country cemetary had not seen one of these since the Viet Nam War, many of the guests had never seen one at all, and while I'd fired at a few back then, I'd never been close to the grave for one.

The firing salute was breathtaking, followed by a BAM in Dress Greens playing taps, then the slow and careful folding of the flag, the funeral salutes, the long silence, and the whispered presentation of the flag to my sister, the youngest.

We're seeing more of these now days with the actions in the middle east and beyond. A price we have to pay for our freedom and regardless of whether I may agree with the current actions - the Marine's honor, that many of our best have to be sacrificed.

DandyDon:
After the church services, the caravan headed for the gravesite, and as we got in sight range, we could see the 8 man Dress Green Firing Squad at Parade Rest near the family plot, Dress Blues standing by the grave next to mom's. This country cemetary had not seen one of these since the Viet Nam War, many of the guests had never seen one at all, and while I'd fired at a few back then, I'd never been close to the grave for one.

The firing salute was breathtaking, followed by a BAM in Dress Greens playing taps, then the slow and careful folding of the flag, the funeral salutes, the long silence, and the whispered presentation of the flag to my sister, the youngest.

We're seeing more of these now days with the actions in the middle east and beyond. A price we have to pay for our freedom and regardless of whether I may agree with the current actions - the Marine's honor, that many of our best have to be sacrificed.
Okay Don, I can't tell a story that moving, and especially through misty eyes.
One of my brothers was (As with any Marine, still is) Recon, and an Uncle who served through the Pacific Islands Campaign during WWII.
Uncle Howard spoke only once of the horrors he faced, and then only when goaded into it, and it's appropriate here only to say that at about twelve years old I came to understand more about war than I've ever wanted to know.
He, too, served well.
Unfortunately, many have had to experience more.
Thank God for the men who their duty and do it.

Tom

I would like to thank all for their birthday wishes to my Corps yesterday. I know all past and present Marines send their thanks also.

Semper Fi
Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom