Happy Birthday Captain Cousteau!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Today the Captain turns 100. TCM is showing his documentaries all day today... I'll be wearing the red cap in his honor today.

Perhaps the first time since my TV antenna blew off the roof that I wish I had reception... but since TCM is via cable I guess it doesn't matter.

Happy Birthday Captain!

Thanks for the headsup fishboy....now I'm stuck by the tube.

I just noticed this thread. Watching his shows is what made me want to scuba dive when I was a kid.

One of the few advantages of being an old fart is I met him back in the 60's when he brought Calypso (ex-USN MSCO) into our yard in Miami for some minor repairs. We owned two sisterships which we operated in marine research trade so had spares, manuals, and hand's-on experience he needed. Happy Birthday!

Thank you Jacques Cousteau your words and video encouraged a land locked kid to one day live his dream! Diving has changed my life.
I to wear a cap often it is what happens when your bottom time pushes your core temp's down. I take a razzing sometimes but I do not mind!
Rest in peace my friend and I hope your legacy lives on.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Interesting that so few have commented on this thread. Perhaps it is the age (or rather the youth) of many members that renders The Captain less significant in their lives.

An L.A. radio station rep called me up on that day to ask if I'd do an interview if he could talk the managers into doing a short piece on The Captain. I said of course. The managers decided that a short piece on Cousteau was not really newsworthy even on his 100th birthday. I guess they had bigger fish to fry... maybe Lindsay Lohan was acting up that day.

I had the pleasure of working with TCS back in the 80s on a segment of their "Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World" series for TBS. I didn't meet JYC face-to-face as he was on board the Calypso and I was with Jean-Michel on the Alcyone.

..... The managers decided that a short piece on Cousteau was not really newsworthy even on his 100th birthday. I guess they had bigger fish to fry... maybe Lindsay Lohan was acting up that day.

It seems that most programs on tv are junk these days. It would be nice if the news deviated from this path, but I suppose that society has sunk to a level where Springer and rich spoiled brats are the popular choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom