Hard or soft weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii

Contributor
Reaction score
Just ordered an xs scuba weight belt (thanks scubatoys!), now I need to get some lead. I'm leaning towards hard weights, they just seem more durable (and cheaper!). What's the general opinion on this?

I have a weight integrated BC and have dove with both type and can't tell the different comfort wise, but I'm not sure with a weight belt.

I use the XS 4-pouch belt, and I use soft weights (two 2lb sea pearls).
Soft/Hard doesn't make much of a difference for me. However, If I carried a lot of weight, it may be a different story.

I need to use 28 lbs (bag drysuit with loads of fleece). I used to use a seasoft belt. Then I switched to a DUI harness with hard lead weights. The harness is actually more comfortable and I can't really tell it's hard weight.

YMMV

Hi zbskii:
We manufacture these weight belts with real 1000 denier Dupont Cordura material to be tough enough to handle the added wear & tear when hard weights are used. Unless you're diving with very little or no wetsuit, you will most likely not be able to "feel" the difference in comfort. Thank you for your business.

zbskii:
Just ordered an xs scuba weight belt (thanks scubatoys!), now I need to get some lead. I'm leaning towards hard weights, they just seem more durable (and cheaper!). What's the general opinion on this?

I have some XS Scuba lead shot weights, and I am curious about whether the lead is encapsulated in any way.

How concerned should I be about handling the weights? I know that I should try not to injest the lead, and I try to wash my hands after handling the weights. I usually rinse out my gear in a bathtub; should I be concerned about taking a bath in the tub afterwards?

If you like the hard weights and don't wear a great lot then it won't make much difference. If you drop one on you toe from 6 inches up, then you will swear at the hard weights and by the soft weights.

You don't have to worry about taking a bath afterward. You won't absorb any lead through your skin. In addition, the amount of lead you get on your hands just from diving is probably not worth worrying about, either.

Lead toxicity occurs when people ingest water which is led through lead pipes (therefore getting a small amount daily over a long period of time) or when children chew lead paint (getting a large dose for body weight).

I should mention I need 30+ lbs of weight, thus my 6-pocket belt will be "full". We dive dry or a 7mm wetsuit up here, it's cold in the PNW! Guess I'll go with the coated hard weights, they seem more durable.

Cheap.

Inexpensive. Bargain. Lowest cost. Economical. Frugal. Cheap.

If I ever have to ditch lead (like to stay at the surface), I want absolutely nothing, not even a hint of a thought of "how much this is gonna cost me" to impede me.

All the best, Jmaes

Back
Top Bottom