Hard time deciding on pacific destinations... where would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'm going to Guam to visit family in June and want to make a few dive stops along the way. I was originally planning the Phillipines (probably Palawan) and Palau (on Continental's once a week Manila to Guam flight that stops in Palau).

Lately, I've been looking into doing the Continental island hopper flight that starts in Honolulu and stops in Kosrae, Pohnpei, and Chuuk (Truk) before ending in Guam.

For those of you who have gone to Chuuk, will it still be worth it if I'm not too much into wrecks? How is Pohnpei and Kosrae?

I've dove Guam, Yap, and have visited Palau when I was younger (didn't dive though) but I have little idea about the diving along the islander hopper route. How does Continental or the agencies ticket that anyway? Does it cost per stop?

Where would you recommend?

I'm a frequent Island Hopper flyer ... from Honolulu, it stops in Majuro, Kwajelein, Kosrea, Chuuk, Pohnpei, then Guam (or the same in reverse). Your best bet would be to call Continental or a travel agent to figure out pricing.

Chuuk's boats focus on wrecks (though there's lots of wildlife as well) ... Palau tends to focus on wildlife.

I know guys who have dove all along the Hopper route ... while almost ALL diving is good, I'm told you can do wrecks in Chuuk and see fish in Palau, and those are the two best spots in the world. I'm still trying to dive all of Guam, haven't been to the out-islands yet.

In fact ... just this morning I was at 140' at the Crevice :)
http://homepage.mac.com/brittingham/Pictures/PhotoAlbum31.html

Crevice and Barracuda Rock are two of my favorite spots in Guam... If only the Navy would build a long staircase going down the cliff so all the Orote dive sites could be shore dives!

How would you rate the diving in Pohnpei and Kosrae? How does it compare to the rest of Micronesia?

While I only got to do 4 dives on Pohnpei (while living there for 2 months....long story) there were AWESOME! Wonderful hard and soft corals, probably the best I've seen anywhere. And LOts and Lots of fish! Sharks on every dive, hugs schools of barracuda, enormous Napolean wrasses.....you know, great stuff!! I would highly recommend a stop there. Just do a google search for micronesia and you'll find lots of stuff on accomodations. The primary dive outfits are Pheonix and The Village, an awesome place outside of Kolonia. Pricey but well worth it. i"m thinking of returning for New Years and a Very Big Birthday celebration.

My wife was not "into" wrecks either but fell in love with diving in Chuuk. the corals may have started to recover in Palau but the Chuuk wrecks concentrate fish like crazy. Intertwining schools of barracuda, tons of reef fish and swarms of baitfish in the coral trees. If we had to pick a place to return to it would be Chuuk- on the Odyssey of course!
Z

If I had my choice I'd go for New Guinea.

Caymaniac

Caymaniac and cdiver2,

I agree, I would love to go to PNG too, but it is definitely way out of the way for a stopover on the way to Guam! I'm looking for something I can include as a stop over on my flight plan =)

While I don't have a lot of experience in the area, my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice would be Palau

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom