Hard weights in a weight integrated BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use both hard and soft weight in my weight-integrated BC. I used to require 20+ pounds (a hard ten on one side, two hard fives on the other and 4 soft in a tank strap pocket for trim). When I went to HP steel tanks, I immediately shed 8-10 pounds of lead, so now I use a hard five in each dump-able sleeve, along with a soft two or three. With my particular weight system, the hard weight actually makes it easier to insert the weight sleeve into the relatively tight pocket. It's much harder with soft weight -- especially when everything is wet.

I've found that the corner of hard weights eventually put wear on the fabric of the weight pouch, but that is only after 300 or 400 dives and many hours of bouncing around on a boat. At that point, it's a good idea to replace the pocket in order to get fresh velcro anyway, so it isn't really all that big of an issue.

Charlie Allen

Use a hammer, grinder or course file to round off the corners and edges...just don't breath any fumes or dust you make.

I am drooling here! I have 90 pounds of lead at home but at this price.....must resist, must resist!

I use the hard weights in my Ladyhawk and haven't had any trouble. I prefer a 2 pound and a 3 pound to the larger 5 pound weights though, sometimes those 5 pounders feel a little awkward.
Ber :lilbunny:

On dive trips, I use hard weights in my Zeagle weight pocket thingies. I use much less weight in tropical waters than diving locally, but the hard weights work fine.

It's simple, hard weights take up less space. FredT used to put out a nice line of weights. He had the curved #6, #8, #10, along with flat 3#2, #3, #4. He had excellent #1 bullets. But he also put out some flat plates, #1 thru #5 I think, no belt holes, for use in pockets.

Seems I remember, when the soft weights started coming out, I heard many say that the reason they used them was that they wouldn't break your foot when you dropped them.

100% agree with Zen_man. Hard weights are much easier to slip in and out of integrated pockets, and are more durable. (And you can recycle the hard weights on a weight belt if you switch to backplate/wing)

Obviously Ber Rabbit suffers from a well developed case of GAS (gear aquisition syndrome).
I think there must be a waterbourne strain that divers are particularly prone to contract...

Back
Top Bottom