Harness and backplate assembly question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jvisser

Reaction score
(Sorry if this thread exists, but I couldnt' find mention of this issue).

1. I'm brand-new to DIR, "speculatively," since I haven't any formal DIR training. I'm thrilled to have found DIR, I'm completely on-board with the concept. I've been diving since '77, PADI.

2. I'm assebling my own backplate/harness/wing/single tank system. I have followed the isntructions for weaving the harness found on the GUE adn other sites. So far, so good, except my single piece harness webbing is a bit shorter than I'd prefer.

3. The question: the harness webing has a stainless grommet in the middle that crosses the backplate at the top-center mounting hole; will this piece of webbing and grommet tilt the single tank adapter, and should it perhpas be balanced with a similar piece at the bottom? And, if the STA top bolt doesn't go through the center (webbing) hole, should there be a bolt for the webbing?

Thanks,

jv

Knock the grommet out of the webbing. The top bolt on the STA has to go through a hole in the webbing and another bolt is not needed.

Ben

jvisser:
2. I'm assebling my own backplate/harness/wing/single tank system. I have followed the isntructions for weaving the harness found on the GUE adn other sites. So far, so good, except my single piece harness webbing is a bit shorter than I'd prefer.
I know it isnt your question, but how long is your webbing? I know when i bought a standard harness kit my webbing was about 15ft long and i snipped off about 18" from each end after i threaded it through.

That's a good point--Did you make your own harness out of webbing--If so that's fine but typically harness webbing is like 15 feet long---

No need for the grommet in the webbing - a cleanly melted hole with a soldering iron (this WILL ruin the tip for soldering), a heated nail, or a punched hole with melted edges is sufficient. There's no need to worry about "balancing" the STA with a webbing insert at the other end - the effect is negligible once assembled.

No need for a bolt through the webbing if the STA bolt doesn't go through it - the backplate slots keep the top of the harness in place because of the offset angles.

You don't need the grommet; do the soldering iron trick described above.

EZ and Scubaroo are right...I have a "good" soldering iron for soldering and a "bad" one for burning webbing and holes in hoods, etc.

Although you already have it rigged, I figured I would share this link since a lot of people find it helpful when rigging this stuff..

http://www.gue.com/equipment/backplate6.html

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom