Has anybody ever done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once watched a hermit crab trying to make progress along a sandy surface in a surge for about 10 - 15 minutes in one spot. It is very relaxing. Focusing on the crab made me forget all about the surge.

This is actually what got me thinking about it. I spent 30 minutes lying on a featureless silt floor as a "missing diver" once. I was pretty bored for about ten minutes, and then all the tiny things came out of the bottom and started going about their lives -- worms, tiny crabs and shrimp, all kinds of stuff. I got fascinated with the ecosystem in a place I thought barren. Ever since, I have wondered what I'm missing.

Lowviz, merino wool against my skin would ensure a VERY short dive. You can't scratch very well through a dry suit . . .
Have you ever put silk or a thin polypropylene layer between the merino wool and your skin? Also, do you use smart wool? I have incredibly sensitive skin but for some reason, smart wool doesn't itch.

At this point in our diving, Debbie and I will in almost every case find some interesting animal behavior and just camp out on it. Sometimes we move if the animal moves- such as a hunting eel, and sometimes we will spend the best part of an hour in a 50 square meter space. The idea of moving and scooting here and there for 45 minutes seems pointless. Dive planning too often omits a purpose- and we try and articulate a purpose before a dive. It might be to locate a frog fish, or sea horse so we will descend and comb and area for a frog fish or sea horse, slowly, and meticulously. Thanks for bringing up the subject. It is one close to my heart.
DivemasterDennis

A lot of my best dives cover very little ground, but I haven't yet tried just sitting in one place.

And although it's off topic, I regard wool as rather like an abacus . . . why use it, when you have a much better high-tech option?

Have you ever put silk or a thin polypropylene layer between the merino wool and your skin? ...//...

Yes, I started out with wool over Capilene. To me, damp wool is so much more comfortable than damp polypropylene.

...//... Also, do you use smart wool? I have incredibly sensitive skin but for some reason, smart wool doesn't itch.

I'm pretty sure that smart wool is Merino wool.

...//... And although it's off topic, I regard wool as rather like an abacus . . . why use it, when you have a much better high-tech option?

-I started with the high-tech offerings. I haven't found anything warmer or more comfortable than the really high quality MW. If there is something better, I'll use it. http://www.aclima.no click on the Brit flag (top) for English.

-back to topic...

Attachments

• Hotwool.jpg
    Hotwool.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
And although it's off topic, I regard wool as rather like an abacus . . . why use it, when you have a much better high-tech option?

While I agree there are some great synthetic fabrics out there, I have clothing by both SmartWool and Minus 33, which I use both above and below the water. I couldn't make any statements as to a direct comparison, but both brands make very comfy, warm wool clothing that doesn't impact my buoyancy or make me feel too much like the Michelin man. :)

A lot of my best dives cover very little ground, but I haven't yet tried just sitting in one place.

I love just hovering in one place. Learned to do that when I was snorkeling and realized that the life comes back out after a few minutes if you do not look threatening. Most divers I buddy with in my warm water trips always go too fast. They still think like divers and not like fish.

Also...
Abacus vs calculator
I wear merino wool socks when downhill skiing now... this after trying much of the hyped up high tech options for over 30 yrs. The merino wool does not itch and is extremely comfortable. It's also warm when wet.

I've done this and I've also done the same technique while on a light drift dive. I just don't move at all and let the current slowly take me along and I remain so still that I become part of massive schools of fish. It's so awesome!!!!!!

I've done this and I've also done the same technique while on a light drift dive. I just don't move at all and let the current slowly take me along and I remain so still that I become part of massive schools of fish. It's so awesome!!!!!!
Kinda like this?
8115271914_120427e821_o.jpg

Focus is a bit off, because, well, they got too close for the autofocus :eek:

Back
Top Bottom