Has anybody here been to Scuba Club Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bully for Scuba Club for offering a "breakfast and lunch" meal plan. Given their proximity to "town", that's great accommodation, imo.

Never stayed at Scuba Club, but if you're the type of people that find going out to eat pleasurable, I'm a big vote for doing the breakfast and lunch plan, and then going out to eat at night. I dive all day and I'm not a big fan of walking, but even I could manage the walk from Scuba Club to town, especially if I was only doing 2 morning tanks and one afternoon shore tank. It's not like it's a horrible walk either. For much of it, you can walk right by the ocean.

Even if you don't want to walk, a $6 cab ride will seem expensive considering how close you are to the action, but cabs are very easy to get and for a week it's less than $100 if you took one every night. 3-4 blocks on either side of the square and 3 blocks back there must be, what, 50 places to eat?

Good to know that Prima still has good steaks. The best steak I've *ever* had was at Prima when it was at the old location. I've eaten at the new location once, and the view is amazing, but we were extremely unimpressed with the food. (didn't have a steak) Even though we didn't have a good night there, I'd suggest walking the 3 blocks one night and trying it out. Go on a still night so you can sit outside. It was really windy when we were there so we sat inside.

-Blair

I went in 2011 and did the full meal package. As others have said... SCC does have good food, especially breakfast and lunch. Of the 7 days I was there, I think there was only one (dinner) that I thought was exceptional. The rest of the week was adequate. We ventured down the street a few minutes to Prima one night and had perhaps the best "stuffed-- sea bass" you could ever imagine, and the view isn't bad either... And if you decide you don't want to go out on a particular night, you can purchase dinner at SCC. I'm planning on going back in June this year and I will only be doing breakfast and lunch on this trip.

Which ever you decide to do... one thing is for certain.... You won't be sorry! :wink:

If you are on the island to dive, sign up for the full board plan.

I was so tired after a few of the days of diving that if food hadn't been 3 steps outside my hotel room, I think I wouldn't have eaten. We did an AI and still went out a few times, but I was glad to have the AI options.

Good to know that Prima still has good steaks. The best steak I've *ever* had was at Prima when it was at the old location. I've eaten at the new location once, and the view is amazing, but we were extremely unimpressed with the food. (didn't have a steak) Even though we didn't have a good night there, I'd suggest walking the 3 blocks one night and trying it out. Go on a still night so you can sit outside. It was really windy when we were there so we sat inside.

-Blair

You know the old place is a new place with the old people, apparently? Apparently some of the old Prima people opened the old location? Still haven't made it there but some people said it was good.

My logs show upper 70's and low 80's for our trips in March for the past few years. I would say the most comon thermal protection I see as a 3mm full. I am content with my 3/2 full, my wife on the other hand likes her custom 5 with attached hood, and our college student likes his 4/3. I've seen plenty of people regret not having at least something to protect them if the make contact with the "black stuff I can't remember the name of" that gives quite an annoying rash.

You know the old place is a new place with the old people, apparently? Apparently some of the old Prima people opened the old location? Still haven't made it there but some people said it was good.

Yes, I've eaten there and met the owner, or one of the owners anyhow. He's from Colorado. It's called La Terraza now. It's basically the same menu etc as the old Prima. I think we ate there twice last trip. Everybody loved it. And if I understood correctly, there are several, one being the chef, that worked at the original Prima.

They aren't open on at least one of the weekdays, maybe Monday, but someone mentioned that they might be closed entirely now? I'm hoping they stopped by on one of the days it was closed.

It's sort of Italian/seafood/steak. They have, occasionally, this gorgonzola shrimp fettucine dish that's amazing. It's a must do every trip. If you're still there, give it a shot.

-Blair

They aren't open on at least one of the weekdays, maybe Monday, but someone mentioned that they might be closed entirely now? I'm hoping they stopped by on one of the days it was closed.

Someone said it was open last week. The one time we tried, soon after they opened, and picked the one closed day.

Speaking of closed, I heard a rumor KINTA may soon be open 7 days a week during high season at least.

My other problem is I have too many "must gos' on every trip. I am thinking I need to just go for a long trip to fit new restaurants in.

I just saw this and will reply even though you made your choice. We have stayed at SCC 5x in the last 2 years and we always did the full meal plan. Originally it was because we wanted to dive, dive, dive and this was the easiest. Then in January we decided to move to Cozumel so we still booked the 3-meals because we were busy seeing houses, lawyers, etc and this was still the easiest.

On our last trip in November we did eat out once and it was not big deal that we had paid the $$ for dinner at SCC. I thought about just doing the 2-meal plan but hubby thought we can try all the wonderful restaurants once we move there.

You are going to love SCC.

Betty

I remember March water temperatures being 78-79 which can get very cold after a long dive. A shorty is probably adequate, but a 3mm full would be nice and not likely too warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom