Has anyone bought from Liquid Fit in the past year or so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Sparkle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,

I'm on the verge of buying a custom wetsuit (details on my questions about *what* to get are in another thread), and I would like to know if anyone has bought one from Liquid Fit in the last year or so, and what their experience has been like.

To backtrack, two years ago I considered getting a suit. I contacted Liquid Fit, spoke with Carolyn, the owner, and felt really good about the choice. They were in Florida, so I was going to be able to pick up my suit and get a fitting on my way down. The timing did not end up working out for that dive trip though, so I didn't get one then (rented ---- ugh!)

However upon calling Liquid Fit a few days ago, I have found that Carolyn has passed away :depressed: From what I understand, the woman who is running it now did work with Carolyn though, and was a friend.

Still, I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has bought from the "new" Liquid Fit.

A couple of things that may or may not prove to be issues:

1) LF is now based in California, so I couldn't pick up the suit in person and get an in-person final fitting (I do realize the measurements should result in a good suit.

2) The website looks exactly the same as it did two years ago, down to phone numbers and etc. This could just mean that the new owner is not a "webby" person, but when ordering remotely the website is one thing to go on.

3) In the photos of people in finished suits on the site, some of them look a tiny bit baggy (well not baggy, but loose in spots). Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it just normal that the neoprene makes some folds like that. I've attached a couple of photos from their "completed wetsuits" gallery to show what I mean.

I think part of it is that I just felt such a good rapport when I spoke with Carolyn, and I could tell she was into diving as she made lots of suggestions and etc.

The new owner does all the patterning of the suits and then other people are contracted (or hired?) to sew them.

Thank you for any input. I know I will be a bit pickier about a custom suit than an off the rack one, but then, it's more expensive too. (But even the comes-in-many-sizes off the rack suits won't work for me; I talk about the details of the new suit in my other thread - didn't want to mix issues in one thread.)

Thanks again!
B.

Attachments

• suit 1.jpg
    suit 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 96
  • suit 2.jpg
    suit 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 87
  • suit 3.jpg
    suit 3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 93
I did not know they changed owners. I bought a suit for my daughter from Carolyn 2 years ago or so. We sent it back once for minor alterations after the first delivery. Very pleased with the suit over all, the quality & service. She has not needed any mods since then, maybe next year.

Daughters suit is made from their super stretch material. It's a 3.5mm full suit, with a 3,5mm core warmer made to match. She gets cold easy & the springs at 68 degrees is as cold as she wants to dive it.

But, she's a skinny 20 year old with little bioprene. I dive the same springs in an ancient, well used 3/2 full suit and am just fine. I have more bioprene, LOL

When we bought the suit, the price was not bad for a custom. I didn't have much choice, she had to have a custom suit one way or another.

I have no idea what their pricing is like now, have not looked.

Thanks for the additional input, Wayward and Valhalla. Couple questions:

1) Wayward, is the "core warmer" you mention something specific? Or does it just refer to a variety of extra pieces you might add (vest, shortie, etc.)? If it's a specific piece, could you describe it?

2) Valhalla: I had read about some negative experiences people had had with Wetwear (searching on this forum), and so between that and their website design (only males pictured in suits, weird stripe patterns that I'm not fond of, and it just didn't give a friendly custom feeling..), had gone in the Liquid Fit direction. But maybe I should look into them. I don't mean to sound shallow in my reasons for deciding, but you know, when you are first looking around you have to choose somehow, and sometimes the initial impressions are what you go on (but if I hear good things about them I'm open to change that).

B.

Thanks, Wayward.

I'm leaning toward this now:

1) Coverall type base suit in either 3mm or 3mm/5mm torso
2) Core warmer in....?? 3mm
3) Beanie of some type
4) Socks so I can wear my full-foot fins that fit (I have soled, zippered neoprene booties but they don't fit in my favored fins).
5) Better gloves (I have some but they are cheapies and very loose).

At least my head, hands, and feet can fit into off-the-shelf sizes :D

I was also recommended to try Aquaflite in PM from someone. So I may give them a call as well.

Thanks for the additional input, Wayward and Valhalla. Couple questions:

1) Wayward, is the "core warmer" you mention something specific? Or does it just refer to a variety of extra pieces you might add (vest, shortie, etc.)? If it's a specific piece, could you describe it?

2) Valhalla: I had read about some negative experiences people had had with Wetwear (searching on this forum), and so between that and their website design (only males pictured in suits, weird stripe patterns that I'm not fond of, and it just didn't give a friendly custom feeling..), had gone in the Liquid Fit direction. But maybe I should look into them. I don't mean to sound shallow in my reasons for deciding, but you know, when you are first looking around you have to choose somehow, and sometimes the initial impressions are what you go on (but if I hear good things about them I'm open to change that).

B.

Liquid fit does not even produce their suits so you are not getting a good value. There is little comparison as far as I am concerned especially as Wetwear uses the best material availiable - Rubatex. You are right, Wetwear's web-site is antiquated as well as their facility. In addition, the color combinations are horrid but most folks like myself order all black so that point is moot. As far as customer service is concerned I have never had a problem. How much customer service is involved after the suit has been made? I was at Florida Show and met the owner who stated they have been in business for 32 years so that should tell you something. In addition, I spoke to two people at the show who's suits have lasted over 10 years.

Last edited:
Uh, are you looking at two wetsuits for layering? If I was diving up in the Chesapeake area, I'd be diving dry most of the time. Even down here, I have two drysuits for other-than-summer diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom