Has anyone dived Blackbeard Cruises in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went on Blackbeard's last November and had a great time. There are plenty of information on “Cruises, Liveaboards and Charter Boats” subforum including what to take and what not to take. I found most of it very useful. The only thing I missed, I brought tropical full-foot fins and I found that open hill fins are more practical on their fins-off ladder.
The best time to go is during summer but hurricane can become an issue. Another disadvantage of summer trip is that sometimes they have all 3 boats filled to capacity. In November we had only one boat with 14 or 15 divers and 6 crew, so we had some banks empty and it helped to store personal stuff. They also told us that Christmas week is often completely filled.
In November water was around 78 and we had some hot days when I was comfortable in shorty and some cool, windy days when I needed sweat short between dives and 5mm full suit in a water.
We went to Bimini and usually started day with a deep dive on Bimini wall and then continued with more shallow reefs. Reefs around Bimini are healthy with plenty of corals and fish including sharks. Crossing to from Bimini was a little rough.
Crew was very friendly and professional (from all aver the world).
Another issue: couple of people who made connective flights never got their luggage but managed to arrange rental gear with Blackbeard's

You can put in a request for a specific bunk. Some people really like the galley because they are big. For me, it was not very good. Activity on the boat ends around 10:00 and the cook starts at 5 or 6. I'm a light sleeper, so I was much happier in a tiny bunk in the front.

I was, too. The people in the Galley area didn't get quite as much shut eye.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I certainly appreciate it.
Sounds like a great trip, and I'll be looking forward to it now for certain. The space concerns aren't anything unusual for me...I'm used to diving the Fling in the GOM on science cruises where space limitations are much like those described.
Much obliged, ya'll.

Did them once, wouldn't do them again - unless it was free. It really is camping at sea, very crowded at every turn, 2 divers to a gear bin, 4 sleeping in a large closet or sleep in the galley, no room to eat in galley, they keep beer cold but let milk go bad, showers are strongly discouraged, don't try to take luggage larger than an airline's carry-on, no nitrox, and if you have a flu relapse like I did - you are on your own even to obtain liquids and aspirin.

Have a nice trip. The Fling will look like a luxury yacht next time.

Yup, leave your luggage in the house in the Bahamas. You don't want it or need it on the boat. Take what you need out of it and leave the rest. My first trip I took too much on the boat. Second trip: 3 shorts, 3 shirts, 2 swimsuits, sandals, and a shaving kit. Rain jacket and fleece depending on the time of the year. Take a small flashlight so you can see in your bunk.

In my experience, they don't let food spoil as a matter of course. I have no doubt that happened on Don's trip. My bottom line is that if you have high expectations, you will hate it. If you don't you will love it.

It's not a place I would want to be sick, but my last trip we had a woman getting over the flu (clogged sinuses). She got either 0 or 1 dives in. She still claimed to have a great time.

Edit: Don's thread is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cr...3094-blackbeard-s-certainly-not-everyone.html I think it's a good read for anyone considering this trip, even though my conclusions are 180-degrees from his.

I went in 1992. But from stuff I've heard from other folks, not much has changed except they don't leave from Miami anymore (good move on their part.) As some people have already said, it's definitely "roughing it." I had a good time. I don't mind roughing it. The only thing that I'd complain about is the size of the "head." The marine head is very tiny and in a very tiny space. For folks like me that are big/tall it took some creative body posturing to take a dump. Peeing wasn't much of a problem (for men) 'cause you can stand up, or pee over the rail. :)

We spent one night in Biminy, mid-trip. That was the best night because we had access to real showers. On my trip, the water maker was on the fritz and we weren't even allowed the daily 3min shower normally allowed. Actually, that wasn't really a big deal to me. You spend so much time in the water, that you aren't really "dirty" just salty. And, you can deal with that by filling a bottle with water from the kitchen tap and poring it over your face and/or hair. It's pretty easy to keep your head un-salty (sic). Which is all I need to feel comfortable.

Last edited:
I've been on Blackbeard's twice, the first in 2002 in late November and in early may in 2007. I was disappointed in the visibility in early May. In addition I got sick in the May 07 trip, and the cook got sick first. I was disappointed when the Captain told us strongly that the illness was "brought on the boat" and they were not responsible. When we docked, we found it was on the other boat too. The third boat was not at dock as they were on a 4 day cruise.

I will go back, but in late November. We had bad storms in May and the crossing from Bimini to Freeport was real rough. But not nearly as rough as the run in 2001 across the gulf stream.

For the list of what to pack, add sunscreen, #45. On the boat in May they never put up the sunshade. I only had #30 and I cooked.

The part about not much storage and not much privaccy, correct. It is camping on a boat. But the good part, by the time you reach port, you know everybody on the boat. :)

I will be going next month from the 6-12. I'm stoked about it. It's good that I took the time to do some research here on the board. Now I won't be disapointed. Be on the look out for my trip report

The reason I'd like some feedback is because I just won a seven-day Cruise!
So how about it? What is it like and how does their operation work?
Of course I'm excited about the cruise (which has to be arranged, so I'd also like to know when the best time to go is, what gear to take, etc...), but I'd certainly enjoy hearing from SB'ers who have been there and their opinions and advice.
Thanks for any info you can provide!

Congrats on winning a trip!

I loved Blackbeard's. It was a little rough for me as I didn't have a whole lot of experience and couldn't do some of the dives. I was there over Christmas. The entire boat was very experienced and I just wasn't ready for some of the depths.. All good this time though, my roommate and I will be going before December. So, let us know when you are going.
The food was supurb and full of carbs. My favorite vacation food. Like everyone else has said, pack light. Oh! And bring heavy duty plastic clips to hang your wetsuits up with.

You can't really be a picky person and feel 5-star to do Blackbeards. Personally, I would sleep in a closet as long as it meant I could dive.

My roommate and I are already looking at buying pirate costumes for the trip! WE CAN"T WAIT!!

My trip got cancelled due to Hurricane Ike. Now I will have to see when I can get time off from work to go again. Hopefully before december. I'll let you all know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom