Has anyone dove Aquarena Springs Lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanpublic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out there this weekend with a friend and we worked on "Cream of Wheat."

I don't remember ever seeing it that overgrown with algea. It's pretty thick even in the Training area.

Maybe this is the season or whatever. So I thought I'd ask if any of the old timers had been down there recently and had the same opinion.

I haven't been resently but I know most of the time during the summer it is hard to keep up with cleaning the springs. With the long daylight hours the algae grows real fast. Last summer I went in September and when I got to River Bed I didn't know where I was at cause the algae had grown over the rocks.

I haven't been since the web cam unveiling ceremony the end of March. Bought a season pass to CSSP and with gas prices, I've been staying close to home. Hope to head down to San Marcos when it's too cold to dive up here.

Bought a season pass to CSSP ...

Have you found this to be a good return - I figure it comes out to 5 weekends. I have made it out 4 this year.

About the thread topic :) - I would love to dive Aquarena. My buddy is a science teacher so she is all excited about going to take the course next spring.

-Vanessa

I agree. The algae is horrible. I have dove Aquarena many times during this time of year and have never before seen the algae so bad. It's a foot-deep carpet in places.

Time of year is one factor in the amount of algae you see, the other is a slow water flow due to lack of rain.

Have you found this to be a good return - I figure it comes out to 5 weekends. I have made it out 4 this year.

About the thread topic :) - I would love to dive Aquarena. My buddy is a science teacher so she is all excited about going to take the course next spring.

-Vanessa

Vanessa--

The season pass has been a good deal for me. It has more than paid for itself :)

I enjoyed the Aquarena course in San Marcos, and would highly recommend it. Diving the clear water springs is unique in Texas. There's also Balmorrhea (sp?) but that is much further for me to drive.

My great-grandfather helped found the city of Balmorhea (the Bal- come from Balcom) so I told my Dad that I have a familial obligation to go dive there. TwoBit said Adventure Scuba might go this winter - I plan to tag along.

Maybe we will target Aquarena for next May - after the 'rainy' season...

Marcus was the PIC Saturday and said volunteers were down.

So if you've got some time. Coming down would be a good thing right now.

Hope to head down to San Marcos when it's too cold to dive up here.

There are people in Canada, and even closer to home, that would laugh at this statement. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom