Has anyone had to pay extra to rent weights in addition to a dive tank fee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my area its not included together, if you need weights you rent them separate .
Some dive shops dont really charge you for it but its still a thing.

Once you get the tank, it’s a sunk cost, so you might as well get the weights.

Its $80 for a single TANK not $80 a day. 3 tanks=$240 a day plus $20 for weights which is why I wanted some opinions from others. Seems extremely excessive to me but I have never been to the Bonne Terre Mine and there is not another similar operation to compare it to.

What the hell!! That's pricey.

When I have rented tanks, weights were not included and if I didn't bring them I figure I'd have to rent them. If I was paying top dollar for a dive experience, I would be supprised at an extra charge not mentioned prior.

One reason I usually discuss amenities and pricing when booking anything, including diving.

Bob

Anyone else see the irony in renting lead to dive in a lead mine?

I grew up on the other side of the state in KC. I've wanted to dive the mine, but keep hearing of the issues. At this point it isn't anything I will go out of my way to do, but if I happen to be there and they are in a good mood about it I might do it.

When I went to Grand Cayman I was charged either by the pound or by the day for weights. At one place I was charged for the weight and then told they didn't have what I needed (4-2#) they wanted me to take 2-5# instead. AYSM? Charge for weight and then don't have what I need?

Also, in checking dive ops on Aruba, I remember one shop that charged for weight.

Here in GC some ops charge for weights some charge a little more per tank. It is a very tight margin so where the one with the cheaper tank might look like the best deal it is not necessarily true. Same with boat dives. Some ops charge more or less for gear rental some give packages, some charge less for multiple days. My only advice is don’t necessarily go with the cheapest. They have to cut corners somewhere to make ends meet.

Gear Hire These are the prices for my local dive site. Holiday dive sites in Canaries and Europe generally have two prices, one price for a dive with all the gear (typically €40). Price for a dive with just tank and weights are around €30.
Boat may or may not be charged.
Last place I was at (Safari on lanzarote) charged €175 for 8 dives (tank and weights) which included 3 boat dives and a torch for the night dive

Back
Top Bottom